Russian Imperial Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esorkered

Reaction score
I started a russian imperial stout a week ago. The original gravity was 1.087. I used White Labs San Deigo Super Yeast, which is supposed to be a very fast fermenting yeast, and did a 1.5L starter. I just checked the gravity and its around 1.033. I'm thinking this might be a bit high. What do you guys think? Is this low enough? I plan on leaving it in the primary for another week or two and then moving it to the secondary for at least 3-4 months. Should I do anything to get the gravity lower or should this be good enough?

On a side note, I drank the sample and I think it might be really good when its finished. The alcohol bite is a bit overwhelming right now but I'm hoping that will decrease over time. I'm really excited to try this one.

let it sit longer in primary, those last few gravity points may take a little while to drop with a brew that size. 1.018-1.030 is the BJCP guidelines for FG in a RIS, so you're close. since it's only been a week and that's a beer that takes time, just let it sit for a bit. you could also warm it up a few degrees to encourage the yeast to stay in suspension a bit longer.

Do not rush a RIS! Let it go. 5-6 month bulk aging is common with big beers like RIS

1.087 to 1.033 is only 60% apparent attentuation. That yeast strain is capable of a 76-83% attenuation. It's not done yet, or you underpitched. The Mr. Malty pitching calculator states that for an ale of 5 gallons with an OG of 1.087 that you should have used 2 vials to make the starter. 1L if using a stir plate or continuous aeration. 1.2L if using intermittent shaking. 1.65L if using simple starter with O2 at the start, and 2.2L if using only a simple starter.

I don't do a lot of high gravity brews, so maybe someone will chime in with some good advice on how to proceed.

Too late to add more yeast. You have used up the O2, and it will not reproduce.

I assume you aerated well. Not aerating can stall the beer.

Do you have it at a decent temperature. Too cold, and the yeast will go dormant. If it's on a floor, the floor temp is more important than the air temp.

Back