Running lines from basement to 1st floor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillNye

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing some remodeling and have been kicking around the idea of installing a draft tower in the island. I will be putting the kegerator in the basement/man cave but would like to run additional lines up to the 1st floor. It will be roughly 10-15 feet of line and I plan to run them through 2" PVC and cool them...the question is how. The walls are open right now so I would prefer to do it once and do it right, or just not do it at all.

I was thinking about running the lines through the PVC and then using a blower to recirculate air from the kegerator, to the tower, and then back down into the kegerator. This might be all I have to do, maybe the first pour is a little foamy but let's be honest that one is going down pretty quick anyways.

I was also considering picking up some bundled insulated line, 4 beer lines and 2 cooling lines, and then putting a cold plate in the kegerator. This would allow me to recirculate cold water through the plate, up into the tower, and back.

The third option is to put the cold plate in the freezer portion of my temperature controlled fermentation/storage fridge. Would likely work better but I am concerned with being able to keep the lines cool while the fridge is cycling on/off for fermenting. It would be nice to separately control the freezer but I am not sure how.

The last option is of course a DIY glycol system in which I use an old A/C unit to chill the glycol. If I have to go this route I probably won't do it, so I am hoping I can get away with one of the easier options.

I am sure someone has done something like this before. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

I haven't. But I know that pumps have a limit in how high they can push liquid (called head). Think of it this way: the weight of the vertical beer must be overcome by the pressure in the keg. A small lift is typical, and easy, but higher will weigh more. It's a stack of beer. In water pumps it takes more power, in your keg more pressure. I think that might overcarb your beer.

Latest posts

Back