Running a heater in my fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a fridge that I keep a keg in, in my garage. I have a temperature regulator that runs power to a small space heater to keep it above freezing in the winter. Now what I've done in the past is just drilled a hole in the side, ran my thermometer and power cord through that, and sealed it with spray foam.
However, I'd like to avoid drilling a hole in the side if at all possible. Any ideas on how I could still run the thermometer and power into the fridge, without drilling a hole in the side?

I've fermented in chest freezers and refrigerators. The rigid foam insulation around the door seals adequately as long as my temperature probe cord and "light bulb in a can" heater cord are not too thick.

This winter after the temperature drops in the garage I'm going to try just using the heating element in a broken fridge that I bought via Craigslist for $20. Turns out the guy that I bought it from is research scientist who does research on yeast, amount other things, lol.

It should be easy to ferment lagers in an insulated box in a cold room with just a temperature probe, heating element, and STC-1000.

Back