Rum Soaked American Oak Cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pecafaced

Reaction score
So I recently purchased these rum soaked oak cubes from AHS.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_24_32_335&products_id=12881

These things came packaged with rum still dripping off the oak cubes. The rum aroma is strong even through the plastic bag. I'm very excited to throw this into my next stout that I'm brewing just to give it some extra rum/oak flavoring.

My question is do these need to be sanitized before being added to the secondary? I only ask because I know traditionally you would want to boil in water for at least 5 minutes or so just to sanitize the wood, but seeing that these are coated in rum would that be enough of a sanitizer and would boiling it dilute or take away some of the rum flavor?

This is my first "wood-aged" beer so I'm not sure of the protocol when they are still coated with rum.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

They'll be fine as is,since the high alcohol content would kill any nasties that might've been present. That's why I use cheap,grocery store vodka in my airlocks. Besides,you don't want to wash away all that goodness.:mug:

Back