Rules of Debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all most of our threads are discussion and not debate, but debate occurs and can be enjoyable as long as people do not make personal attacks against one another.

One sure way to get a thread closed, get banned or both is to personally attack another person.

There is an excellent write-up here on argument.
http://virtualschool.edu/mon/SocialConstruction/Logic.html
It's a bit much for our purposes, but it is very interesting.

There is a great section on false argument and if you take care to read it, you will see how many poorly constructed arguments there are on the real "hot button" issues.

One thing I'd like to talk about are ad-hominem arguments because I see them used here and I am here to tell you that they are as unacceptable as a personal attack, because that's what they are; only thinly veiled.

Ad hominem.
Argumentum ad Hominem is literally "argument directed at the man".

The Abusive variety of Argumentum ad Hominem occurs when, instead of trying to disprove the truth of an assertion, the arguer attacks the person or people making the assertion. This is invalid because the truth of an assertion does not depend upon the goodness of those asserting it.

For example:
"Atheism is an evil philosophy. It is practiced by Communists and murderers."​

I know we have some atheists or agnostics, I do not mean to single them out. It's just an example.

To me this type of argument is when our threads start coming off the rails and threads get closed.

One thing I really like about this forum is that for the most part people don't attack each other. Granted I probably don't read as many of the topics as you do since you have to moderate them, but I have barely noticed any attacks. The members here are great and friendly.

Moderating is an evil job. It is practiced by Communists and murderers.

j/k but yes I agree that MOST of the people here MOST of the time do a great job of discussing issues. This is a good reminder that we should all be vigilant in keeping our posts and replies in line.

I disagree. Keeping posts and replies in-line is an act of indecency and is practiced by necropheliacs and people who condone the rape of farm animals.

another fine example.

Back