Rule of thumb for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for how much priming sugar to add before bottling?

My instructions only give the amount of sugar to add to each bottle - but I will be using several different sized bottles so I figure it would be best to add sugar to the beer in a bottling bucket then rack.

I used 4 gallons to increase the alcohol if that makes any difference.

Thanks all.

At good starting point is to use 1oz priming sugar per gallon of beer.
You can adjust a little from there depending the style of beer or your preference. While many will recommend 3/4 cup, I usually use about 1 cup per five gallons as 1 cup of the priming sugar from my LHBS weighs just under 5oz.

Use 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon. You won't be dissapointed.

and isn't the rule of thumb the one that states you can beat your SWMBO with a stick (No Bigger around than your thumb)?

and isn't the rule of thumb the one that states you can beat your SWMBO with a stick (No Bigger around than your thumb)?

Absolutely. However, my wife calls her's the "rule of bat." I should be out of the hospital in a couple of days and ready to add all that priming sugar!:tank:

So, what does "rack the beer on top" mean?

"Rack" means siphon. You siphon the beer, putting the tip of the tubing at the very bottom of the receiving vessel (usually a bottling bucket), and let it fill from the bottom without splashing. You kind of wind the tubing around the bottom of the bucket inside, so that the priming solution swirls around and mixes into the beer without any splashing or aerating. Most beers are racked at least once, to remove it from the sediment.

...I used 4 gallons to increase the alcohol if that makes any difference...

What was the original gravity of your beer and how long has it been fermenting/conditioning.

A higher concentrated beer (like you have) will require additional time to ferment out all of the natural sugars. If you're simply following the 1-2-3 routine, you may be priming and bottling beer that still has residual sugars and will end up with overcarbonated beer.

What was the original gravity of your beer and how long has it been fermenting/conditioning.

A higher concentrated beer (like you have) will require additional time to ferment out all of the natural sugars. If you're simply following the 1-2-3 routine, you may be priming and bottling beer that still has residual sugars and will end up with overcarbonated beer.

To be honest - this was my first brew (I've since done another) and I didn't know there was such a thing as a gravity test so I don't know what the OG was. I checked the gravity the other day (about 1.5 weeks into fermentation) and it was 1002. I'm going to wait until I know for sure fermentation is complete. I will check the gravity again today. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks today!!!:rockin:

Personally I like the 1 oz. per gallon rule. Nice and simple.

When I used sugar and DME to prime, I would add my measured sugar to about 2 cups of water and boil for 5-10 min. Cover the pan after boiling and let it cool. I would dump my steralized sugar water to my bottling bucket and then rack/mix/fill bottles. I guess my point is I steralize my sugar before priming.

my $.02.

Back