Ruined Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBama

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I pitched a starter yesterday for my Sweetwater IPA clone that I'm brewing today and I think it went bad. I'm using Wyeast 1968. This morning when I went to swill it, it had formed a solid gelatinous mass on the bottom of the beaker and would not break up. When I picked it up yesterday at my LHBS, I noticed it felt half frozen and when I opened it to pitch the starter, it had a lot of jelly like particles. Is this normal for WYEAST London ESB?

I've never used it, but I have seen others comment similarly about how this stuff flocculates. Somewhere here on the forum is a pic of this strain during fermentation, looking like a big clump of clay in the middle of the fermentor. I suspect you're okay.

I got three vials of White Labs yeast yesterday and all 3 had formed the solid gelatinous mass you describe. Took some serious shaking but I got it all suspended eventually. I don't think it's gonna matter, the yeast is less than 2 weeks old so I know it's good. Maybe you should DIY up a stir plate to keep everything suspended until pitching time.

Back