ruined batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdektattoo13

Reaction score
i made a five gallon batch american ale, i used a raspberry syrup that may have contained potassium sulfate in it. the ferment started in about four hours after i pitched the yeast, starting gravity was 1.050 ferment was slow and lasted about 36 hours. final gravity is 1.014. that is only 58% attenuation, I'm concerned that at bottling priming wont take. Am i off the mark, need advise badly

i made a five gallon batch american ale, i used a raspberry syrup that may have contained potassium sulfate in it. the ferment started in about four hours after i pitched the yeast, starting gravity was 1.050 ferment was slow and lasted about 36 hours. final gravity is 1.014. that is only 58% attenuation, I'm concerned that at bottling priming wont take. Am i off the mark, need advise badly

Isn't 1.050 to 1.014 something like 72% attenuation?

I'm pretty new to brewing but I think it sounds like you're right on track. If it fermented in the primary there's no reason the yeast wouldn't work with your priming sugar. What was your target gravity to get it down to?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

im in the beer limit on hydrometor, guess i thoughr it would me a more vigorous ferment, with higher alcohol. i brew a lot of mead and not much beer it is not behaving how i ame use to

i used a calculator online, that's what it said.

Attenuation from 50 gravity points to 14 is a drop of 36, which is 72% of the original 50. There's no way to mistake that, whatever you did with the calculator.

Thursday to Sunday is too soon to be doing anything with your beer. 7-10 days is absolute MINIMUM!!!!
1.050 to 1.014 is very good progress.

Leave the beer alone for another week and a half then start checking on it.

If it is fermenting now (which it apparently is) it will have plenty of yeast for bottle priming.

GIVE IT MORE TIME; can't believe no one said that on the first page of responses! holy cow! anyone taking a hydrometer reading within the first few weeks is just too damn impatient...i know it's tough, but you'll learn: i say minimum 2 weeks even with LOTS of yeast

also, yeast will still be alive to bottled prime 2 months out...

RDWHAHB! = Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew.

1.014 is pretty close to done, but like suggested wait at least a week then start taking gravity every day until you get 2 or 3 consecutive identical readings.

GIVE IT MORE TIME; can't believe no one said that on the first page of responses! holy cow! anyone taking a hydrometer reading within the first few weeks is just too damn impatient...i know it's tough, but you'll learn: i say minimum 2 weeks even with LOTS of yeast

also, yeast will still be alive to bottled prime 2 months out...

A few days is early but I take hydrometer readings after a week when I dry hop and just to get a taste of beer at its current stage. It doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't contaminate it so I would say it's preference over impatience but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back