Ruby Red Ale (please check my hops)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm making a Ruby Red Ale, and I want to get a hop profile approaching the IPA realm. Something big in the nose, flavorful, and pleasantly bitter (although that's quite subjective:)) Not too much, but maybe in the area of 50 IBU. Here's my grain bill

80% Efficiency

9 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
.75 lbs Carapils

Where's the red, you ask?

Beet juice added at 10 min:
2 raw beets blended with 2 cups water, strained

The hops I have to work with are Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial. What would you do?

Thanks!!

Columbus throughout will give you ruby red grapefruit flavor.

.25 at 60
.5 at 30, 20, 10, 5, and flame out. that is for 45 IBUs.. changing the 60 minute to .5 will give you 52ish

Your grain bill is light for an IPA... add 2-3 lbs of 2 row to hit the top of APA range at 70%
Not sure about the beets, but hey: its your beer!

:mug:

Thanks! I was thinking of something similar:

1oz centennial 8.6%AA FWH
.25oz Columbus 14.4%AA @ 60
.5oz Columbus 14.4%AA @ 15
.25oz Columbus 14.4%AA @ 5

chefmike said:
Your grain bill is light for an IPA... add 2-3 lbs of 2 row to hit the top of APA range at 70%
Not sure about the beets, but hey: its your beer!

:mug:

Yeah, but I'm wanting more of a hoppy APA that's ruby red. I wasn't very clear about that originally.

Also, I kind of have a feeling Chinook wouldn't play well with centennial and Columbus. I could be way off base here, as I don't think I've ever tried it. What do you think? I definitely want to include the Columbus, I only have 1 oz on hand though. I could run out and get more as I build up my starter this week.

Yeah, but I'm wanting more of a hoppy APA that's ruby red. I wasn't very clear about that originally.

Also, I kind of have a feeling Chinook wouldn't play well with centennial and Columbus. I could be way off base here, as I don't think I've ever tried it. What do you think? I definitely want to include the Columbus, I only have 1 oz on hand though. I could run out and get more as I build up my starter this week.

Chinook is yummy with centennial, columbus, and cascade! I have a favorite IPA that is cascade, and chinook, dryhopped with chinook and cascade. It's awesome!

Chinook cat be sort of like cat pee in large quantities, but in smaller quantities it's awesome!

Thanks for the info Yooper, I went ahead with the blend on your advice. I used this schedule:

.5 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 20
.25 oz Chinook @ 15
.5 oz Columbus @ 10
.25 oz Chinook @ 5
.25 oz Chinook @ 0

Dry Hop with .5 oz Centennial and .25 oz Chinook

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Here's my final product.

1) The end result tastes a little beety, but not bad.

2) The head is pink, and I would prefer white. Not sure what to do there.

3) All in all, it was a fun beer!

Back