Rubbing Alcohol question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Does anyone use rubbing alcohol to sanitize brewing equipment? Is it possible to get off flavors if rubbing alcohol comes in contact with wort?

sure... just make sure it all evaporates. IDK... I personally would just use one step. Safer and a no brainer.

If you are looking for a cheap sanitizer consider using unscented chlorine bleach or Betadine or an equivalent to Betadine (Iodine).

Forget the contaminants like benzene, rubbing alcohol in itself is a poison.

"Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption."- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

abracadabra said:
If you are looking for a cheap sanitizer consider using unscented chlorine bleach or Betadine or an equivalent to Betadine (Iodine).

Actually, when mixed as directed StarSan is about the same price as bleach.

pldoolittle said:
Actually, when mixed as directed StarSan is about the same price as bleach.

and doesn't have to be rinsed. and is safe/non-toxic. and residue won't add off flavors to your beer. and the foam snake is funny after a few pints.

:ban:

malkore said:
and doesn't have to be rinsed. and is safe/non-toxic. and residue won't add off flavors to your beer. and the foam snake is funny after a few pints.

:ban:

Pardon my ignorance... but what is a "foam snake?"

everclear - cheap and when you use it on those carboy bungs they won't pop out

I use rubbing alcohol (70%) to sterilize my stir bars. I keep them in leftover White Labs yeast tubes. I just fill them half full with the alcohol and keep my stir bar in there. Then when I'm ready to make my starter I just tip the tube to drain it into another tube and keep the stir bar in the original tube. Then I dump it from the emptied tube into the starter. No touching of the stir bar.

I'm not worried about it at all, besides for me it is only a starter. Also, yes, acetone is not good for us, but it is something our bodies makes already in small amounts from fats. Normally this is not a problem, but in malnourished people, or people on very low carbohydrate diets, the body can make enough of this to start to cause problems. Being volatile, you can smell it on a persons breath.

Back