Rubbery Tasting Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
I have been doing smaller batches in one gallon fermenters lately. All of my gallon jugs I have been using rubber stoppers in. I have not bottled anything yet, they are all in about the 3rd week of aging. I have tried two ales and two of my meads. They all taste and smell of the rubber stoppers. It's disgusting. I have never had any infections or spoiled concoctions so I will rule infection completely out. When I bottle this stuff will the rubber stopper vomit a*s taste go away? Anyone else on here experience the taste I'm speaking of? Thanks guys and cheers

Its not the rubber stopper. Ive had several beers that were green that tasted and smelled of rubber. After aging the rubber smell and taste went away.

just to clarify. I have drank many batches of my beer while it was still green. Probably at least 80 percent of them. They were all done in a 5 gallon ale pail. No taste of rubber once until now.

Just my two cents. Ive brewed lots of brew using the rubber stoppers. Its a byproduct of the fermentation/yeast not the rubber stopper itself......I also just looked it up for ya in Dave millers Homebrewing guide. It says its from sulphur compounds from byproducts put out from yeast.

thanks for the research davis. Do u think this should mellow out with time in bottles?

My last porter had this issue. I do know the batch fermented WAY too warm. My brother tried one and noted it had a rubbery taste. I wasn't sure what he was talking about as I was tasting what I would have described as a mild sulphery flavor. After some research, I figured out that we were probably talking about the same off flavor. It seems like it has faded a little with time, but it's still there to some degree. I'm going to let this one sit and drink my other batches for now.

This makes me laugh. I introduced a new fermenter into my system just recently (7.9 gal ale pail). It smelled of heavy rubber. I cleaned that thing to the hilt. It smelled neutral when I poured and pitched. I took a hydro 2 weeks later. Beer finished and clear using 1272. Tasted awesome even though I went heavy on the williamette and cascade. Getting past that I had rubber. I un-bunched my panties and let it cold crash. Bottled and low and behold 4 weeks later- no rubber, not even a hint. I had never had that before. I guess it might have been the rubber in the stopper but whatever it was vanished after bottling. Seemed to me I got it more in the aroma when I was sampling the hydro and maybe my senses fooled me. Perhaps it is just a by product of the fermentation.

I had the same problem with an IPA that I did this summer. Basement was cool, but I pitched extra yeast to account for the higher gravity of the brew. I pitched using a pitching calculator and used Notty as the yeast. Forgot that Notty tops out at 70 degrees. Very strong and fast fermentation and it was left to condition for 4 weeks or so. I bottled and gave it 3 more weeks. Still had the strong rubbery taste. I think that the temp in the fermenter was much higher than the ambient temp of the basement and this was definitely higher than the recommended temp for Notty. Bottled it on August 3 and, upon tasting another bottle a couple of days ago, the taste was still there. Had to pour that one out. I hope that it mellows over the next couple of months, or I'm going to have to toss the whole batch, as I'm very sensitive to tastes and it's too strong of a rubber flavor for me.

While the weather is cool, but not yet cold, I'm switching to US-05 and S-04, which both have fermentation tolerance to 75 degrees. Brewing a pretty high-gravity RIS this weekend, so I hope that this solves the problem, as the basement is now steady around 68 degrees. I use dry yeast almost exclusively as, with a toddler in the house, I'm not always sure when my brewing plans will come to fruition.

So, maybe switching to a yeast with a higher temperature tolerance will help solve your problem.

Jeff

Its not the rubber stopper. Ive had several beers that were green that tasted and smelled of rubber. After aging the rubber smell and taste went away.
correct a mundo

Just my two cents. Ive brewed lots of brew using the rubber stoppers. Its a byproduct of the fermentation/yeast not the rubber stopper itself......I also just looked it up for ya in Dave millers Homebrewing guide. It says its from sulphur compounds from byproducts put out from yeast.
yes this.

thanks for the research davis. Do u think this should mellow out with time in bottles?
it will mellow and go away.

i had the exact same issue with an ale i brewed in warmer than preferred conditions and had the same issue. once bottled and aged 3-4 weeks it tasted just fine. :)

correct a mundo

yes this.

it will mellow and go away.

i had the exact same issue with an ale i brewed in warmer than preferred conditions and had the same issue. once bottled and aged 3-4 weeks it tasted just fine. :)

Hoping for the same. Just bottled my Oatmeal Stout. First time I did only a 2.5 gallon batch so I wondered if the increased headspace/smaller volume enhanced this "rubbery" quality.

Even when I bottled I could smell the rubbery sent. I don't think my fermentation temp was too high. Hopefully it cleans up in the bottle. really disappointed but I guess not every batch of beer can be great.

Back