Rubbermaid water cooler as a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808beer

Reaction score
Could I use one of those Rubbermaid 5 gallon drink dispensers as a fermenter?

Would it require to drill any holes or have some kind of special fittings?

Thanks for all your support

You can use just about anything for a fermenter but you wouldn't want to!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of ingenuity and saving a buck but the I'd use a glass carboy or if you want cheap get a couple of dollars food grade tub and use that.

I'd save the cooler for the day (if) you go all grain for a mash tun.

808beer said:
Could I use one of those Rubbermaid 5 gallon drink dispensers as a fermenter?

Would it require to drill any holes or have some kind of special fittings?

Thanks for all your support

making a fermenter out of a cooler is easy. here we go

Step 1. Drill out the center of the lid to the diameter of a 1 inch stainless steel pipe.
Step 2. Gather your equipment, 2 stainless steel couplings, 1 piece of 1 inch inside diameter stainless steel pipe(length will be once you put the pipe in the of the lid will fit once the coupling's on either side will fit), A 1 inch inside diameter stainless steel close nipple, 2 stainless steel washers(you will have to drill out the big washers to get it to fit the outside of the pipe snug), 2 pieces of gasket material (plumbing section in any home improvement store) to go on the inside of the washers seated against the lid, and 1 number 6 drilled stopper for your airlock.
Step 3. Assemble. Take the length of pipe and stick it through the center of the lid. Slide the gasket material over both sides. Put washers on both sides. Screw on the couplings on both sides and tighten. Screw the close nipple on the top inside the coupling. Place your #6 drilled stopper into the top close nipple. Place your airlock into the stopper and your done.

I recommend using the screw on lids, they seal better. hope this helps

Thanks for the help. Would you by any chance have a picture of it? So I could get a better idea.Thanks again808

808beer said:
Thanks for the help. Would you by any chance have a picture of it? So I could get a better idea.Thanks again808

Im sorry but i dont have a picture of it. I dissasembled mine because i got one of the stainless steel conicals. It is the same design as the weld free bulkhead fittings but with a couple changes. I wish i took a picture now.

Back