Rubbermaid coolers same as GOTT coolers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinker

Reaction score
I bought a 5 gal rubbermaid "victory" cooler from walmart today ($18.50) to make a mash-tun. Then stumbled upon this article that states they are different. I do know that rubbermaid now makes the Gott brand coolers.

How to make a mash_lauter tun out of a GOTT cooler

http://www.realbeer.com/spencer/cooler-tuns/dh-cooler-mash.html

What I use is a standard 10 gal Gott drink cooler. As opposed to other brands, the Gott is specifically made for hot and cold beverages and therefore stands up well to mashing temps.

I think I'm ok with what I bought today.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'll be back later...

drinker:mug:

Too small, too small. Trust me on this- you're going to kick yourself down the road when you want to make that first "big" beer.

ablrbrau said:
Too small, too small. Trust me on this- you're going to kick yourself down the road when you want to make that first "big" beer.
A 5 gal cooler is definitely sufficient for doing a partial mash, right?

As for my question "What I use is a standard 10 gal Gott drink cooler. As opposed to other brands, the Gott is specifically made for hot and cold beverages and therefore stands up well to mashing temps."

Will the rubbermaid brand coolers hold the temps of hot water as efficiently as the Gott coolers?;)

drinker

ablrbrau said:

[bending leg backward and upward, in the general vicinity of my own hindquarters]

It's such a small jump from a big PM to AG, that you might as well got for a bigger cooler. I just got a nine gallon Coleman Xtreme for $30 to replace the $18 Rubbermaid (which works great for the size) after two batches.

drinker said:
A 5 gal cooler is definitely sufficient for doing a partial mash, right?

As for my question "What I use is a standard 10 gal Gott drink cooler. As opposed to other brands, the Gott is specifically made for hot and cold beverages and therefore stands up well to mashing temps."

Will the rubbermaid brand coolers hold the temps of hot water as efficiently as the Gott coolers?;)

drinker

Yes your cooler will hold temps just fine. And a five gallon is sufficient for a partial mash, as well as for many full mashes. But as I said earlier, you will outgrow it sooner than you think, and after you go ahead and buy the ten-gallon job, you will be left with a big orange five gallon planter. :D

ablrbrau said:
...and after you go ahead and buy the ten-gallon job, you will be left with a big orange five gallon planter. :D
Having a five gallon planter can be a good thing though...

...depending on what's planted in it, for instance hops or something in the hop family:rockin:

If I decide to step on up the mashing ladder, I do have a rectangular 30qt Gott cooler that may be useful.

Thanks for the feedback

drinker

the_bird said:
[bending leg backward and upward, in the general vicinity of my own hindquarters]

It's such a small jump from a big PM to AG, that you might as well got for a bigger cooler. I just got a nine gallon Coleman Xtreme for $30 to replace the $18 Rubbermaid (which works great for the size) after two batches.

How is the 9-gallon Coleman working for you? I just bought the same one very recently. I only plan to brew 5 gallon batches. I am hoping that the inevitable Home Depot Gift Cards I'll get for Christmas will be used to convert it to a mash/lauter tun. It will be my first try at All grain; hopefully end of january I'll be posting a success story:mug:

the_bird said:
I'll let you know after next weekend (haven't taken it out for a spin yet).

just received mine. I noticed that the spigot is not held on by a "nut" on the inside. It looks as if I would have to be pretty rough with it to remove from the cooler. Did you find an easy way to remove it?

the_bird said:
Nah, it unscrews. The plastic bit on the outside, that looks like a washer, unscrews, IIRC.

I'll be a pest and ask another question. What did you use to replace the spigot? A bulkhead fitting? If so, where did you purchase?

What is IIRC?

Back