Rubbermaid cooler MLT - what sort of plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powchekny

Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting together a Rubbermaid cooler MLT for some time now. The only thing that's held me back , and I freely admit this may just be paranoia, is a fear that I may be leaching some dangerous chemicals from the plastic of the cooler into my beer. The very hot water used makes me even more concerned that this might be a problem.

Has anyone ever considered this possibility, and done the research? Or can someone tell me what sort of plastic is used for the insides of these coolers so that I could research the problem myself?

--Pow

My Rubbermaid cooler buckled inside during the very first use. After three more uses that buckle turned into a crack.

When I wrote to them about it they gave me a $6 coupon!!??!! This is what I got for their lifetime warranty.

Never again. Igloo for me from now on.

In their response they said that their plastic is only rated to 120 degrees.

I've been thinking about putting together a Rubbermaid cooler MLT for some time now. The only thing that's held me back , and I freely admit this may just be paranoia, is a fear that I may be leaching some dangerous chemicals from the plastic of the cooler into my beer. The very hot water used makes me even more concerned that this might be a problem.

Has anyone ever considered this possibility, and done the research? Or can someone tell me what sort of plastic is used for the insides of these coolers so that I could research the problem myself?

--Pow
Its food grade plastic. It's fine. If it wasn't they couldn't market it as a cooler for food products.

-edit-

I'm almost certain that it's HDPE, high-density polyethylene

Its food grade plastic. It's fine. If it wasn't they couldn't market it as a cooler for food products.

You know if you read that a few times it will start to make less sense time and time again.

But let me point it out. Why is a food grade COOLER that is not marketed to come in direct contact with food ok for HOT liquid that does come in direct contact?

In the short run, IDGAS, I use one.

I had assumed (OH NO!!) that the OP was speaking of beverage coolers, which do indeed come in direct contact with food (beverage).

Latest posts

Back