Rubber Stoppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I just got a better bottle, and the LHBS gave me a 10.5 rubber stopper with it. The 10.5 doesn't quite fit, so I'm gonna need a replacement.

I'd love to get the Better Bottle stopper, but it's like 20 bucks. Then I have to spend another $15 on the proprietary airlock. So that's like $35, when I could spend about $5 on a standard rubber stopper and airlock.

The only thing that keeps me from the rubber stopper is that it has this really strong stink to it. Will that eu de tire transfer into my brew?

Also, the BB web site says that treating rubber stoppers with Star San will eventually make them stiff and unable to hold a seal. Any truth in this, or are we talking years before the rubber actually degrades to that point?

I ask because I've spent so, so much money on this hobby over the past few weeks that it's really hard for me to justify 35 more dollars if it's not needed.

#10 stopper works fine for me, or the carboy cap linked by popeiam. You needn't achieve a completely airtight seal, and I've even used foil lightly pressed over the opening of the BB like you would with a starter. Use positive pressure to your advantage.

As far as the BB website's warning about StarSan, we're really talking about prolonged (like, far more than a few minutes) soaking for the degradation of the rubber to occur.

Latest posts

Back