Rubber Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At some point in time, it must have been when I was cleaning it, the little black rubber ring that goes around the hole in the bucket lid, fell out and I have no idea where it is. How would I go about replacing it?

I would suggest drilling a larger hole for a full size stopper and airlock. Then you don't have to worry about the little black O-ring, which often gets pushed through the lid when putting in the airlock. :mug:

You have a local HBS? Mine sells assorted little grommets like that (I *think* that's referred to as a grommet) for a negligible amount.

Yes, I have a local brewstore, I guess I just assumed they wouldnt sell something like that. I guess I am not the first one to have this problem though :)

Give them a call and ask. If they have them, pick up a couple so that you have a backup when one DOES get pushed into your wort. Drilling the bigger hold for a stopper isn't a bad idea, but it may not be necessary.

I acutally pushed my grommet into my batch of brew a few weeks back. Made a make shift grommet with cling wrap and it worked in a pinch. Quick thinking I guess. Bout SH%$ my pants when it fell in the primary!!!

I purchased a few extra grommets at my LHBS for $0.40 each just in case I have a repeat of the "lost grommet".......

I bought a new grommet for $.35 at my LHBS after I pushed my grommet in the first time. Since I bought a new one, I've never done it again. I have a little mantra I repeat when I cover my primary ("Airlock on the lid BEFORE the lid on the bucket). I sound like Rainman but I find it works for me.

Latest posts

Back