Quantcast

Rubber Stopper

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
At some point in time, it must have been when I was cleaning it, the little black rubber ring that goes around the hole in the bucket lid, fell out and I have no idea where it is. How would I go about replacing it?

hialtitude

Reaction score
I would suggest drilling a larger hole for a full size stopper and airlock. Then you don't have to worry about the little black O-ring, which often gets pushed through the lid when putting in the airlock. :mug:

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You have a local HBS? Mine sells assorted little grommets like that (I *think* that's referred to as a grommet) for a negligible amount.

OP
cubbies

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have a local brewstore, I guess I just assumed they wouldnt sell something like that. I guess I am not the first one to have this problem though :)

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Give them a call and ask. If they have them, pick up a couple so that you have a backup when one DOES get pushed into your wort. Drilling the bigger hold for a stopper isn't a bad idea, but it may not be necessary.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
I acutally pushed my grommet into my batch of brew a few weeks back. Made a make shift grommet with cling wrap and it worked in a pinch. Quick thinking I guess. Bout SH%$ my pants when it fell in the primary!!!

I purchased a few extra grommets at my LHBS for $0.40 each just in case I have a repeat of the "lost grommet".......

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new grommet for $.35 at my LHBS after I pushed my grommet in the first time. Since I bought a new one, I've never done it again. I have a little mantra I repeat when I cover my primary ("Airlock on the lid BEFORE the lid on the bucket). I sound like Rainman but I find it works for me.