Quantcast

Rubber stopper stuck INSIDE my primary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dutch101st

Reaction score
So I was pushing the stopper down on the opening of my primary fermentor, when suddenly as I was distracted, it popped inside.

Any best suggestions on how to get it out? What will it do to my beer (my first porter). Should I 86 the carboy and get a new one?

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Happens all the time. If you don't have another stopper handy, just cover the carboy opening with sanitized tinfoil until the beer is finished. After you rack the beer out of that carboy, do this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_53_nOfdKA]YouTube - How to get a cork out off a bottle... If you're bored[/ame]

Enjoy.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So I was pushing the stopper down on the opening of my primary fermentor, when suddenly as I was distracted, it popped inside.

Any best suggestions on how to get it out? What will it do to my beer (my first porter). Should I 86 the carboy and get a new one?
Leave it in there for now, and either get a new stopper, or saran wrap the opening, and stick the airlock in there. Believe me, some of the people with more than 14,000 posts have done the same thing!

There's a trick for getting it out when fermentation is finished. I'll post the wine bottle/cork version, but it's the same principle!

Edit- wow the llama is faster than I am! That NEVER should happen!!!!!!

OP
dutch101st

dutch101st

Reaction score
Oh, I do have a couple other stoppers...so all is not lost.

Good army training taught me to always have a back up...

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Good Air Force training taught me that when someone mentions the "good Army training," they recieved to just politely smile and nod, walk away until you're out of eye sight, then run. ;)

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I resemble that remark...
Incidentally, most of my Army duties were in Germany (back in the cold war days in "West Germany") so most of the best combinations involve some German swear words too.

Anyway, I've also heard that needle nose pliers work ok too for getting the stopper out but it's more of a PITA.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are any arrested development fans reading this thread? "My Army training tells me that this is going to be a hot mission...it needs a name...operation hot mother!"

LakeErieBrew

Reaction score
I've had a turkey baster at the bottom of my secondary for about two weeks. It was sanitized, so I figured I'd just leave it in there.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Carboy caps or universal stoppers are good alternatives to rubber stoppers that can't be pushed into the fermenter - assuming you are using carboys or Better Bottles.

OP
dutch101st

dutch101st

Reaction score
Ok- tried the YouTube wine bottle method and worked like a charm.

Thanks fellas!

masshlx

Reaction score
Found this post, tried the youtube wine suggestion, worked as shown.
Thanks for the link.