Rubber on Keg for Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Just got the hookup from my uncle, his neighbor works for Miller/Coors and brought a few old kegs thome and asked my uncle if he knew anyone who wanted them so got lucky! They are both aluminum with that rubber coating. Anyone ever had to remove the rubber on them before looking for any tips I can get. Thanks

image-2250197495.jpg

I saw one once that someone had tried to remove the rubber, looked like they attacked it with a 9" grinder. They gave up...

I'm for sure not using a grinder, I think if it hit it with a heat gun and pry on it a lot I can get it loose.... Just didnt know if there were any better ideas.... Might even burn it off? Idk

I tried turning one into a keggle. I just used a grinder and cut it open. Worked just the same, pretty hard rubber too..

I highly doubt that they're aluminum. Take a brass key and try to scratch them. If they don't scratch, then they're stainless steel.

I used the rubber keg for a bottom draining MLT. The rubber on mine was at least half an inch and seemed to be glued on, so I left it on there.

-G

Back