Rubber Grommets (Bucket Fermenters)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
I got ahold of a couple of small batch size buckets for fermenters and drill holes for the airlocks and installed grommets from HD. After 2 batches (1 per bucket) the grommets seem to have "melted" or reacted to the airlock plastic and they have all but disintegrated. The ones I have on my "ale pales" have been doing fine for several years.

Are the grommets included with the buckets from homebrew "shops" made of a different material? Can anyone suggest a replacement?

I got ahold of a couple of small batch size buckets for fermenters and drill holes for the airlocks and installed grommets from HD. After 2 batches (1 per bucket) the grommets seem to have "melted" or reacted to the airlock plastic and they have all but disintegrated. The ones I have on my "ale pales" have been doing fine for several years.

Are the grommets included with the buckets from homebrew "shops" made of a different material? Can anyone suggest a replacement?

Go to Home Despot, or Lowe's. They should have rubber grommets in the electrical department.

I opened up all the small grommet holes in my plastic lids to fit the glass carboy bung.

image_2958.jpg

I think the hole size is 1-3/8", but verify it against yours.

Makes it real easy to use the 'wine thief' to sample the SG.

'da Kid

MaxStout said:
Go to Home Despot, or Lowe's. They should have rubber grommets in the electrical department.

I got the grommets at Home Depot and they did not perform well. Almost reminded me if the reaction you get when you store plastic worms against other plastic in a tackle box.

I used a cheap step bit that I had on hand from putting elements in my Aluminum kettle. It cuts through the bucket material like butter.
I then used a #7 drilled stopper with airlock. Best thing is that when I am done fermenting I take out just the bung, put my autosiphon in and rack straight from there.

Back