Rubber coated 1/2 barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitey70

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck stripping rubber from the bottom 1/8th of one of these to use as a direct fire HLT or MLT?

I'm gathering all the necessities for a HERMS, and saw keg cowboy.com has a 3 burner banjo burner package. It would be a shame to biuy that and notnuse all three.

I was thinking of removing the rubber completely from the bottom and maybe 1-2" up the side?

Anybadvice would be appreciated.:tank:

I've seen some threads where folks have removed the rubber from these kegs, the general consensus is that it's not worth it. Methinks you'd end up melting it even if you did remove it if you were direct firing. I'd trade you a regular uncut sanke keg straight up if you were closer, or if you wanted to drive the 2+ hours to trade. ;)

I'll have to keep that in mind if Im ever out that way...likewise if you come up north.

I take it these rubber things have value then?

Depends on what you want to use it for I guess. An electric Brewkettle or an E-HLT, or a non fired Mash Tun would work well. Other than that you could serve from it if you use Sanke Kegs like I do.

I was thinking of removing the rubber completely from the bottom and maybe 1-2" up the side?

Anybadvice would be appreciated.:tank:

The rubber coated kegs are basically a bottle inside a rubber sleeve.

The rims have no metal in them so you would have a round bottom kettle that won't sit flat on a burner.

I would trade it uncut for a metal one if you plan to direct fire it.

Ok, riddle me this....

The only electric heating elements worth a damn are 220v, right?

Not necessarily, but I'd only use LWD or ULDW elements in a BK or HLT. This way if you accidentally dry fire one you're not dead in the water so to speak. There are LWD elements available in 120v and 240v that would work well.

Back