Rubber Carboy Cap for a blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeDog

Reaction score
A quick story and a question for everyone - when trying to remove my airlock from the lid of a plastic fermentor I accidently ripped out the rubber stopper in the hole meaning I can't get an air-tight lock on the bucket anymore. I just bought a stopper along with everything else needed for my next batch...

And of course the stopper doesn't fit in the hole for the fermentor, leaving me back where I started.

So the other solution I have is to use my 5 gallon glass carboy and a rubber carboy cap with a tube usually used for siphoning attached to one of the spouts.

The tube creates a good seal but I'm a little concerned that the pressure built up inside the carboy will just easily push the cap off the carboy instead of just out the tube. Is this a valid concern? Has anyone done this before? Any other advice?

Thanks all

the pressure will exit through the tube. I've heard people warn about using a small hose and getting the hose clogged by the blow-ff from the fermentation, but I've never heard an actual horror story about an explosion caused by this.

I am not sure I understand what happened to your first stopper, but why doesn't your new stopper fit in the fermenter? Is the stopper too small?

I basically ripped the previous stopper in half when removing the airlock... now the new one is too big and I can't get it to fit..

You could drill a hole in the center of the lid for the rubber stopper and then use the airlock. You can usually purchase tubing that will fit the opening of a carboy.

Mine is 1.25 in. and it will seal the opening well creating a blow off tube. Put the end of the tube in a small container or Star San.
blow-off_tube.JPG

I actually wouldn't ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon fermentor as you will likely not have enough head room and possibly lose some beer to the resulting blow off.

Back