RTD thermosensor and PID on ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful where you throw your money. The PID is relay output and there is no indication about its temperature setting, i.e. is set up for Fahrenheit or Centigrade measurements?

The PID is a little larger physically than most, it has relay output, K-input. Engeneering unit can be changed to F in advanced settings menu. Input can also be changed to RTD (and others) if you like.

Have you seen my post in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rkc-cd101-help-293413/ ? (post #15)

If you don't need SSR-output, or are capable og modding the unit to drive an SSR, 20$ is a bargain in my opinion.

Don't see why the RTD wouldn't work. Although you can get beefier ones from China:
RTD PT100 Temperature Sensors with Terminal Head | eBay

As for the PID, like P-J says, it's relay output, not SSR output, (so you'll need a transformer to step the voltage from 120VAC to 3-32VDC to control your SSR). It reads in Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. It says it only takes a K type thermocouple, (which is NOT an RTD and isn't as sensitive, but is cheaper usually). It doesn't mention if it's capable of autotuning, (which is very useful for a newbie). It also doesn't appear to have a manual mode, (damn near essential if this will be controlling your BK). Finally, it's a good bet that the manual is in very bad english, seeing as it's a chinese import and looking at the english level of the ebay post.

I cheap out on a lot of stuff and buy from China. The PID is one thing I'm very glad I bought from Auber. Get the 2352. It has SSR output, takes an RTD, has a bumpless manual mode that's easily accessible, reads in F, has autotune, and it's decently documented.

Edit: Whups, didn't see Protto's post above. Apparently it does do Fahrenheit and can take RTDs. Still, I vote Auber. Manual mode is very useful.

Back