RRBC Amarillo Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bendbiker

Reaction score
Giving Roaringbrewers Amarillo Pale Ale a try this weekend :ban:
I've got a whole pound of amarillo now from hopsdirect for $14!

Mini mash (BIAB):

1.5kg Pilsner
500g Victory
500g Vienna
250g Caramel 15L
100g Carapils
+3kg of LME light colored

Hops:
0.5oz Cascade at 60mins
0.5oz Amarillo at 15
0.5oz Amarillo at 10
0.5 oz Amarillo at 5
0.5 oz Amarillo at 2
0.5 oz Amarillo at 1

This supposedly gives me 1.062 SG and 29IBU's, so it shouldn't be too bitter and should be relatively easy drinking. I hope this beer turns out nicely.

For the yeast I have S-04 and Nottingham. Not sure which to use...

Thanks for giving the recipe a try! I really enjoy this one...

I would suggest maybe considering bringing the gravity back down to 1.052ish as opposed to 1.062ish though. It is really not bitter at all even at 1.052 with 30-31 IBU. Cascase and Amarillo are both pretty "smooth" hops...

I think you might get a slightly different beer going higher on the gravity, without upping the hops also.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - I'd use the Notty and try to keep the ferment mid-60s. You want as clean a ferment as possible...

Definitely let me know how the partial mash version turns out.

Thanks for giving the recipe a try! I really enjoy this one...

I would suggest maybe considering bringing the gravity back down to 1.052ish as opposed to 1.062ish though. It is really not bitter at all even at 1.052 with 30-31 IBU. Cascase and Amarillo are both pretty "smooth" hops...

I think you might get a slightly different beer going higher on the gravity, without upping the hops also.

OK...so I will try with 1.5-2 kg of Extracts only and that should give me some lower numbers. Will post again when I brew it Tomorrow. I might use the S04 to make some hard cider too this weekend!

OK...so I will try with 1.5-2 kg of Extracts only and that should give me some lower numbers. Will post again when I brew it Tomorrow. I might use the S04 to make some hard cider too this weekend!

Sounds like a plan, chief. I mean, it's your beer so if you want to go higher gravity, go for it...

That's just not how I intended it when I brewed it, so thought I'd throw out the suggestion. It's very balanced as is (1.052 and 30IBU), so going higher on the malt/gravity just makes it a little more unbalanced IMO.

If I were going to go higher on gravity I would probably do it via use of sugar/rice/corn (~1lb) as to get the higher gravity, without the malt backbone it adds.

Sounds like a plan, chief. I mean, it's your beer so if you want to go higher gravity, go for it...

That's just not how I intended it when I brewed it, so thought I'd throw out the suggestion. It's very balanced as is (1.052 and 30IBU), so going higher on the malt/gravity just makes it a little more unbalanced IMO.

If I were going to go higher on gravity I would probably do it via use of sugar/rice/corn (~1lb) as to get the higher gravity, without the malt backbone it adds.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually plan to follow your recipe as close as possible and just finished playing around with the online Brew Your Own calculator. At 1.5 kg of Extract it comes out to exactly 1.052 and the 29 vs 30 IBUs just depends most likely on your software versus the BYO calculator. I might still use 2kg extract anyways since I am not sure what kind of efficiency I get from my mini mash...

Thanks for the advice.

I actually plan to follow your recipe as close as possible and just finished playing around with the online Brew Your Own calculator. At 1.5 kg of Extract it comes out to exactly 1.052 and the 29 vs 30 IBUs just depends most likely on your software versus the BYO calculator. I might still use 2kg extract anyways since I am not sure what kind of efficiency I get from my mini mash...

Yeah, that sounds great man. Go with the 1.5-2kg of extract (probably not a huge difference at all) and let me know how it turns out... I've subscribed and will look for updates. :)

so I just finished brewing this bad boy and I think it is going to be a nice, not too crazy amarillo beer.:mug:

I overestimated boiloff and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.045 wort. The amarillo hops were very fresh and smelled great during the boil. I ended up bittering with 0.3oz amarillo as well since my cascade was getting older. NOw I just have to wait and see how it turns out...

So, I am a medical student and am quite busy. After 2 weeks primary and now approaching 2 more weeks secondary it is getting to be time I got around to bottling it.

1st impressions from transfering to secondary taste test were very good. Not at all bitter by my standards and plenty of amarillo fruitiness. I think It'll be well balanced by the vienna/victory. I will post more in two weeks after I bottle and it fully carbs. (it's about time I got around to it ;)_)

Now that its in the bottle I have had a few this friday with my buddy:

The mouthfeel is smooth and it is highly drinkable. THis may be partly due to the fact that it is still a bit undercarbed, but only partially. THe malt taste from the vienna and victory blend VERY nicely with the pronounced fruity amarillo aroma and taste. Everyone I have given a taste of this beer has been very appreciative. It is a very nice and well balanced recipe and I would make it again for sure, especially since I have about another 12oz of amarillo to get through hehe.

OVerall a great one. Color is amber to red. Nottingham cleared out very nicely and its very translucent. A beauty this one...

Back