Roselare packs from May 09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe4life

Reaction score
I've got two Roselare packs from May 09 that I found in the back of my refrigerator.

I've got beer in secondary that I was planning on adding Roselare to, along with some other critters from commercial bottles.

Should I buy new Roselare packs or should I still be able to use the packs from May 09?

Thanks!

I think giving it a starter will help, but from all I've read, yeast rarely dies 100% and thus can be resuscitated w/ a starter, but you do increase the chance that some autolysis and mutations have happened in that time. Its one of those "do you dare risk the small off chance of bad flavors from it, or just buy a new pack" the longer it goes the more the chance for the bad flavors to come, but I think I've read elsewhere of people successfully using yeast that was older than a year w/o problems, but doesn't roselare have some bugs too? That is def an unknown to me, how bugs live over time.

Do you dare chance this 5 gallon batch?

I have no idea how much of a chance it even is, but if you're feeling experimental go for it :) maybe you'll find a mutation that is awesome tasting, or maybe it will be just as expected, or maybe it will taste awful... I'm glad its not my decision... hope I've cloudied up your process a bit lol.

Given that we leave the bugs in the wort to work for more than a year, I would say it's OK especially if it's been in the fridge all that time.

Also, most bottles we pitch dregs from are usually a couple of years old by the time we get them.

I'd say pitch them, especially since you are using dregs too. It won't hurt anything to use the packs, the bugs are probably still ok, and if you don't see the gravity drop in a month then pitch something new.

Back