Rootbeer not carbonating what's up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnichols

Reaction score
Ive been making beer without any carbonation issues. Thought I would make my kids some soda and used a Rainbow Flavors extract from the brew supply store and a champagne yeast. It has been two weeks and I popped a bottle today and it flatter than flat. Any suggestions?

Very frustrated.

At the risk of asking the obvious, were the bottles refrigerated during carbonation?

Since I'm guessing the answer is "no" to that, what was the recipe you used for it? Your yeast might've been unviable, so you could try adding some more to a bottle or two and see if that takes care of it.

I've tried three times to do the rootbeer thing. Epic failure. Dont know why it wouldnt carb but I did everything I could think of (roust yeast, warm up outside in the middle of summer, put on top of fridge to warm) and nothing. Not even a psst. I won't do another one until I get my kegging setup done.

Root beer is usually super easy, and carbed up in three-four days. Champagne yeast (about 1/4 of a package in 2L) works great. Keep at room temperature 3-4 days (longer if it's cold) and you have root beer.

I'm not sure what the issue could be here. Temperature and ingredients are the only things that play a role, so if the ingredients dont' have preservatives, just make sure the bottles are at 70 degrees or so, and it should be fine.

So I am wondering if I didn't use enough yeast. The last post says 1/4 packet for 2 liters. I used a 1/2 packet for 2.5 gal. The directions stated 1 packet for 5 gal.

They are in a warm spot and Ive roused twice.

I have been trying to make rootbeer and I had used that Ale Yeast from the brew store.
I noticed that I do get a little carbination in 3 days, but I also have some settlement at the bottom. I dont know alotof soda makers so I dont know if it is normal to have that, but I tasted it and it tastes greatm no yeasty flavor or anything, its just not as carbinated as I would like it to be.From the sounds of everyone, it seems I may need to let it sit longer.

I have made root beer before but no yeast is needed unless you want alcohol???

Anyway I got more carbonation by shaking the keg vigorously for several minutes

Back