Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chione

Reaction score
Jester369 said:
Ha! I always wondered where it originated - I saw just the slogan on a t-shirt once (no mention of Stone) and thought it was great :D

off topic but is your root beer from scratch for an extract?

Extract, although I have since purchased a book on nothing but rootbeer that I plan to use to come up with my own recipe. Loves me some rootbeer!

Jester369 said:
Extract, although I have since purchased a book on nothing but rootbeer that I plan to use to come up with my own recipe. Loves me some rootbeer!

Good deal I am trying the rainbow kit on Wednesday. Do you use table sugar?

chione said:
Good deal I am trying the rainbow kit on Wednesday. Do you use table sugar?

I have tried Rainbow with malt extract, Rainbow with table sugar, and Schilling (your local grocery store) with table sugar. So far, with the people that I know, the Schilling was the hands down favorite. Having done some research, it is the same extract that Hires uses. Schilling just buys it from Hires in bulk and repackages it under their own name.

rabidgerbil said:
I have tried Rainbow with malt extract, Rainbow with table sugar, and Schilling (your local grocery store) with table sugar. So far, with the people that I know, the Schilling was the hands down favorite. Having done some research, it is the same extract that Hires uses. Schilling just buys it from Hires in bulk and repackages it under their own name.
Schilling, good deal you saved me a trip to the LBS

Schilling Rootbeer extract is available in pretty much any grocery store. The recipe on their box says to add one bottle to five gallons of water and five pounds of table sugar. That makes a very good rootbeer. A second bottle of extract is not a bad thing either, if you feel like spending a few extra bucks.

does any one have a recipe from scratch that actualy taste like rootbeer ?not tree bark?even just a basic recipe.(that does not use a concentrate)apreciate any help

Back