root beer in a bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
So I read on here that you shouldn't use your beer keg for root beer because the root beer will imbue itself in the keg and any future beers you put in the keg will taste like root beer.

What about your bottling bucket? Can I mix the root beer up in my bottling bucket without root beer flavor making it's way into all future beers that I bottle?:confused:

People are way too paranoid about this in my opinion. I've used root beer kegs before replacing the seals several times and it's no stronger than any other soda smell/flavor. Wash it right after and it will be fine.

+1 On the high level of paranoia related to beer.

If the root beer flavoring does get held over in the keg to be carried into beer it's most likely done through all the rubber bits, that is the seals and possibly (to some minute degree) the poppets. For this, it's nothing to keep a spare set around just for the RB. Of course it's not a bad idea to regularly replace the seals.

I have heard of some who swear that the RB aroma permeats into and through the serving lines too. SO, it's prolly' best to keep a dedicated serving line for the RB. I don't doubt that it's possible for the aroma to migrate through the walls of a saturated line but, I am suspect that it's possible to effect any other containers in the area. YRMV. For this, there are "special" serving lines that can be bought. They are lined to prevent this sort of condition.

Back