Root beer doesn't taste like wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxDoc

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing. I really don't like the taste of beer, but I love root beer. I've tried to make it three different homemade brew recipes from scratch (roots, no extract), but the final product is really off.

Each wort tasted great, but each final result has been nothing like the wort. All the flavors are gone, and the remaining taste is hard to describe. Pungent may be the only word; nothing like root beer, and nothing like the wort.

I've changed the sterilization, I've changed recipes, but I haven't changed the yeast (Cooper's dry yeast). The resulting off-taste has been present in each batch. Could my yeast alter my taste that much, or am i doing something wrong?

I thought I'd try making root beer as a fun project, but I'm getting a little frustrated. Any help is appreciated.

How are you back sweetening you root beer after fermentation? I've never had a hard root beer before but I'd imagine you'd need to kill the yeast and back sweeten quit a bit to get anything close to what I think of for the non alcoholic root beer.

Can you describe your process? Most root beer record I've seen call for fermentation to be halted as soon the desired carbonation is reached, normally by pasteurization. Are you letting the root beer ferment out?

you can use artificial sweeteners that the yeast can't ferment out as well. Stevia is a good one and splenda. Otherwise you have to purposely kill the yeast at the right time to achieve the desired carbonation and sweet flavor left. You have to use Sodium Bisulfite or Campden Tablets and then refrigerate so that any remaining alive yeast don't start fermentation again (it's easier just to refrigerate after a week or so of fermentation).

What about using lactose - traditionally used to sweeten stouts as it doesn't ferment with most yeasts.

Basically I'm boiling the roots, adding sugar (molasses and sugar - I've tried brown and white), simmering it, and then steeping it. I'll strain that into a carboy, and then let it cool to room temperature. After that I put the the yeast (in water 1/8 tsp to 1/4 cup water), and add it to the brew. Then i bottle it, let it sit for 2 days on the counter, and then put it in the refrigerator.

As far as I can tell the process is correct, but the final product is far from it. I'm using distilled water for the brew, warm tap for the yeast. I'm sterilizing all post-boil equipment in bleach water (with a hot tap rinse).

I've made changes to the sanitation and the recipe, but the result has the the same flavor; bad taste with no trace of any wort flavors.

I'm also not using a thermometer, so my temperatures may be a little off when I add the yeast. That's on my list of changes for the next attempt; new yeast and a thermometer.

If you aren't adding sugar post fermentation the change in flavor is the yeast consuming the sugar in the wort. Beer is the same the wort pre-fermentation is sweet but after it's fermented a lot of the sugars are gone.

Few things off the top of the head:

What flavor are you getting in the end. I know it's sometimes hard to quantify/codify the tastes, but this will help us identify more.

Two - What are you using as sweetener? I highly recommend lactose being a primary sweetener due to it's creamy mouthfeel and yeast does not metabolize lactose.

Three - I'm a bit curious about which spices you are using. Certain things, like pith from citrus contribute heavily into off flavors pending on when you add them.

Four - In bottling, are you using glass or plastic?

With this information we might be able to collectively steer you in the right direction.

The last batch was from a published recipe for licorice, and included granulated sugar (1.5 cups) and molasses (3 Tbsp) for sweetener, added in after about a 10-minute boil, and simmered for about 10 more.

The spices were simple, star anise and licorice root with a Tbsp of vanilla extract added with the sugar. In the two previous batches I've used indian sarsaparilla, wintergreen leaves, vanilla bean, anise, molasses, licorice root, real maple syrup, and brown sugar. The measurements range from 1-3 Tbsp each for about a gallon of wert. Great tasting wort, every time.

I'm bottling with 16-oz bale tops.

The final product is really difficult to describe. What I can say is that the flavor in the wort (all the spices) are not present. I don't think it's a yeast flavor, but I could be wrong as I'm not a beer drinker and can't really say if it's yeasty. It's nothing like bread yeast if that makes sense. It's not bitter, it's not sweet, it's devoid of all flavor except that one.

My plan is to try with a thermometer and different yeast tomorrow, but I don't know if there is something else I should try. This is the first I've seen or heard of sweetening the brew after.

I'm new to home brewing. I really don't like the taste of beer, but I love root beer. I've tried to make it three different homemade brew recipes from scratch (roots, no extract), but the final product is really off.

Each wort tasted great, but each final result has been nothing like the wort. All the flavors are gone, and the remaining taste is hard to describe. Pungent may be the only word; nothing like root beer, and nothing like the wort.

I've changed the sterilization, I've changed recipes, but I haven't changed the yeast (Cooper's dry yeast). The resulting off-taste has been present in each batch. Could my yeast alter my taste that much, or am i doing something wrong?

Are you going for a hard root beer, or just the regular soda type? If the former, what you're getting is exactly what you'd expect, because all the sugar that brings out and blends your spices is now ethanol. If the latter, its not tasting how its supposed to because you've fermented all your sugar away.

With the caveat that whenever I make soda I keg and force carbonate, here is what others do (IIRC: PLEASE consult soda forum for proper advice before heeding mine). Most people will mix up the root beer, add yeast and bottle immediately. Crack one every 12 hours or so (or fill a plastic bottle) to know when you've reached the desired carb and then immediately move all your bottles to the fridge to allow the yeast to go dormant. This way, you have naturally carbed root beer, but you haven't let the yeast take it all the way. Word of caution - if you are too slow in doing this, your bottles WILL EXPLODE.

Hope this helps.

Most people will mix up the root beer, add yeast and bottle immediately. Crack one every 12 hours or so

Hope this helps.

This I didn't think of. I'm not trying to make hard root beer, just carbonate it. I do bottle immediate after adding the yeast, but I've been doing a 48-hour sit.

This I didn't think of. I'm not trying to make hard root beer, just carbonate it. I do bottle immediate after adding the yeast, but I've been doing a 48-hour sit.

I completely waned over the 48-hour. At the 48 hour mark, most of the time fermentation is dying down and going to clarity. You are consuming a ton of sugar by then. The 12 hour testing should also help.

Bottle one bottle that is the same amount (in oz) as the bottles you're using. When the bottle first gets tight, fridge it.

Great! I'll try 12 hours and see how that goes.

I assume the lack of sugar and presence of alcohol affects the outcome enough to effectively mask the spices.

Great! I'll try 12 hours and see how that goes.

I assume the lack of sugar and presence of alcohol affects the outcome enough to effectively mask the spices.

Definitely. In the same way that fruit beers don't always taste dramatically of the fruit that was used, because your brain is used to having sugar associated with those flavors. That said, I always wondered what a hard root beer would taste like...

This forum has been extremely helpful and answered many of the questions I have. Thank you very much everyone!

when ol granny did root beer some time ago she used Hires extract, so I applaud your desire to keep it real. She also used 5 pounds of sugar for a 5 gallon batch. We bottled it immediately and refrigerated after a week or so. I suspect she used bakers yeast, and most likely we drank it while it was still fermenting. It never lasted very long with my brother and I around.

Back