Root Beer carbonation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelSlayer777

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrewing of rootbeer. I was given some left over supplies by my aunt who had done one batch and decided it had been to much work. I'm reading people saying that you need to refrigerate the soda after a few days to slow down the carbonation. When I got the stuff from my aunt, we ended up leaving several bottles in the basement for about 2 years before finishing them, one had gone bad, but the last couple in the box were fine. We never had any explode. Was this a fluke? I've made a couple batches in plastic bottles that turned out good, but I'm about to make a 4 gallon run in glass bottles, and I'd like to avoid grenades if possible.

Yeah that's a fluke. There's more than enough sugar in there to create a bottle bomb. When I do it I'll use one plastic bottle and the rest glass. As soon as the plastic one is really firm, chill them and keep them chilled until they're all gone. If you don't keep them chilled, fermentation can start back up and you could end up with bottle bombs.

Back