Root Beer Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubsfan61

Reaction score
Made a batch of root beer last night using a kit from Morebeer. It included 3lbs of wildflower honey, 2 lbs cane sugar and root beer extract. Used champagne yeast. The recipe said to open a bottle each day and when the desired carbonation was reached, to refrigerate the root beer.

Well, I opened a bottle after one night and the contents went spraying all over the counter. Is it possible that it over-carbonated in just one day? We used glass 12 oz bottles so this is making me a little nervous. I tasted what was left in the bottle and in my opinion it could use a bit more carbonation, but since the contents overflow when opened I'm not sure how to proceed.

This is our first batch of root beer so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Kevin

I always suggest bottling in plastic soda bottles, and then when they feel hard they are done (plus you don't have glass bombs).

But since it's done, you can try putting just one in the fridge overnight tonight and opening it in the morning and see if that's enough carbonation. If it's not, wait another day. If so, put them all in the fridge.

It's entirely possible that it is carbed up already, but for me at 65 degrees root beer generally takes about 3-5 days. Honey is the wild card, though- it can ferment very slowly or very very fast.

Back