Roomates Dog nom'd my Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should my roomie replace my better bottle

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Would you make him replace it? The scratches are mostly on the outside but the top of the inside has a lot at a level that is above where the airlock would sit. I don't want to be a prick and just make him replace it just for the hell of it. But at the same time if it cannot be cleaned and sanitized properly it is useless to me.

bjfqc4.jpg

2mfaryv.jpg

Those marks near the top will become a possible area for bacteria to get established. You are likely better off not using it. When there is a new puppy in the house these things do happen, it is just the way of things. Depends on your relationship with your roomie, but your roomie should likely replace or offer to contribute to replacement depending on any puppie teething discussions you may have had.

Edit: Just re-read. I don't know where I got the idea it was a new puppy from LOL.

Whoa Boy...

This reminds me of the time my college roomate came home with a 78% wolf hybrid. Damage, damage and more damage... Let's just say at the end of the lease, he and the wolf were not asked if they wanted to re-sign for the following year.

If it were me, I'd offer to replace the damaged goods... Just my $0.02

BK

I wouldn't use that ever again, just too much of a possibility for infection.

On the replacement front, if your roomie is a nice guy he would offer to replace it (you would graciously accept of course) but on the same token it is your responsibility to stow your equipment out of harms way.

But I digress, either way don't use that BB again it's not going to be worth a lost batch of beer to take the chance IMHO.

Psh, I'd use it. If its above the level of the airlock it shouldn't matter, if you use a siphon to rack into the BB the beer shouldn't ever touch that part. If you're really worried about it I guess you could leave it inverted in a bucket of starsan for a while before each use.

Just my thoughts. If you decide to not use it I might be interested.

Psh, I'd use it. If its above the level of the airlock it shouldn't matter, if you use a siphon to rack into the BB the beer shouldn't ever touch that part.

Or you could just cut the top inch or two of the bottle off. I'd still think the roomate should replace it.

Part of owning a dog is being ready/willing to deal with the extraneous expenses (unexpected medical bills, dog destroying things, etc)

Maybe I'm overlooking it but I didn't see the option in the poll to choose 'Grill and Eat the Dog'.

If it was my dog, I'd ante up and replace it. Its a cost of owning and training a dog... with a good soak and sanitizing, you'd probably be ok using it, but why take the chance in ruining a batch? Plus, I'm sure your roommate benefits from the fruits of your labor... he/she should be at the LHBS buying you a new one as we speak!

Take a rolled up newspaper and swat your roommate on the nose and say: "Bad roomie, bad!"

Maybe I'm overlooking it but I didn't see the option in the poll to choose 'Grill and Eat the Dog'.

Hot dogs anyone?!?!

My opinion is he should have offered by now.

I agree there seems to be enough room to cut the top of the neck off. Me I would still use it.

I voted yes, but I hadn't read anything. It depends on your relationship and the scenario. IE, did you leave it sitting on the dog's food bowl? That kind of thing. It is a dog that you were aware lived there, but if it got into your closet or something, that's another story.

Try a dremel and try sanding the rough spots smooth again.

Just cut the top off below the chew marks. It'll still work and there's no point in getting uppity about it.

If the dog did it again, then I'd get all kinds of uppity, though.

Store the BB where the dog can't get it and VIOLA... no problem. Dogs may not chew glass, but better bottles don't chew flesh.

Where was the BB that the dog got a hold of it?
If you left it in the middle of the kitchen floor, I can't say it's all the dog's fault. I'm betting this dog has chewed things before.

I'd still use the BB, but not as a fermentation vessel. If you have a grain mill, cut the bottom off and use it as a hopper. I've done that with a BB that suffered a split in the bottom.

As far as the roomie, I think a replacement is warranted on his dime.

If my dog (a black lab mix) did that I'd offer to replace it. No actually, I'd go buy a new one and give it to you without asking.

Also, it's a dog's natural instinct to chew and they do it more when they get bored. When most dogs get adequate exercise and chew toys they won't go around chewing on random crap around the house. I don't know your roomie and I'm not trying to diss him as a dog owner and I'm sure that mentioning this to the roomie might cause some beef but if you want to prevent this from happening again it might be worth bringing up. Or you could be an awesome roommate and buy the dog a rope and take him on a walk or two. If you catch him chewing on something in the house that he shouldn't be tell him "No" and immediately give him something he's allowed to chew on. You can't stop a dog from chewing but you can make sure he only chews stuff he's supposed to.

don't use it to store the dog's biscuits.

he should have ponied up for a new one.

keep the new one (as rick jeanneret (sabres announcer) would say) "Top shelf where mama hides the cookies!"

Thank's everyone. Without getting into too many of the details about the history of the roomie and the dog i think it's just time to have him replace the bottle.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. Dogs chew rocks. I see no reason they wouldn't chew glass.

I've never had a dog that chewed rocks. Sticks, yes. But rocks? If I had a dog that dumb I'd be tempted to take it out back and shoot it.

Back