Room temp aging in a keg then bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
I want to age a batch of Milk Chocolate Stout and a Pumpkin Ale for the holidays, and want to get some advise..

Should I -

(1) rack to a keg, purge with CO2 and get it to seal, then put it in the closet for 3 weeks, chill to 33 while carbing, then bottle from there..

or

(2)carb it right away, then bottle, then age at room temp ??

Does anyone know any reason this wouldn't work ??

Thanks in advance !

If you are going to bottle the whole batch, why not just add priming sugar prior to bottling? You could age it in a carboy or purged keg first if you wanted.

Maybe you have one of those fancy beer guns for bottling carbed beer?

joeybeer said:
I'm going to be giving quite a bit away to friends and family over the holidays, so I wanted to carb and bottle to avoid the sediment..

I don't know about fancy, but I use BierMuncher's "We no need no stinking beer gun" - you can read the thread on here, it works great and cost about $3 !!

I think this is what most people do. Let it age in the keg so you know your bottles are more uniform. Beer ages better(faster?) as a whole than in 12oz containers.

Then you can bottle some off and know they should be fairly identical and carbed correctly.

Back