Rookie question on first batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tye

Reaction score
Hello all,

So, my very first batch is in the fermentation carboy. I have a question, however....

All went smoothly right through the boil. I had trouble transferring from the kettle to the carboy via syphon. I used sanitized tubing and the carboy was sanitized, as well. There was, however, what I am sure is a longer time than normal of the wort sitting in the kettle awaiting transfer. In the end, I couldn't get the syphon going at all via the 'water in tube' method or the rinse your mouth with vodka and suction yourself method. In the end, I had to use a sanitized funnel and pour. (leaving the heavy stuff in the kettle)

It then took me some time to cool before I could measure the initial gravity. While cooling in a sink of cold water, I kept the top of the carboy covered with an airtight seal.

Once I got the temp down, measured the gravity and inserted the yeast, I used a sanitized stopper and a sanitized blowout tube into sanitizing solution. That's where we stand now.

My question is....although I sanitized everything in a solution ad nauseum, I am concerned about the amount of time everything had access to the air. Could that have blown the batch? And, how would I know?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tye

You're fine, relax, leave it alone and let the yeast go to work, have a beer and check the gravity in a week or so, congratulations you just made beer!

Just for future reference. You want the beer to come in contact with oxygen after you've cooled it, this step is important cause yeast need the oxygen to reproduce. You generally do not want to aerate the wort when it is hot.
You might have had trouble siphoning because the wort was still hot. A lot of stuff settles when you cool the brew.
I'm sure it will come out fine. This is a good first step, you'll get the hang of it soon. Now all you can do is wait

Back