Rookie question about hops in beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper18

Reaction score
Ok so I have ascertained that there are bittering hops, flavoring hops, and aroma hops which all have to do at what time the hops is added during the boil. I have an open hatred for bitter beers like most IPA's and Bell's two hearted ale, so would I not add hops at the start of the boil and only toss them in for the last 15-30 minutes and then dry hop? Or is some hops at the start essential to balancing out the sweetness of the malt?

Adding hops only at the end is increasingly popular, but I think most people still want some sort of bittering charge at the start. You can always use a hop with lower Alpha acid percentages and reduce the bitterness that way.

Ok that makes sense. I just read about Brewers Best Kits and man they look appealing. Everything you need for extract brewing in a handy kit with instructions and everything. I might go that route to get me going.

It's interesting to note that some perceived bitterness in beer isn't just from the hops.

I think to decipher your own preference it would be a great idea to do a side by side comparison.

Do a brew where the hops aren't front and center, a style that's a little transparent on the malt bill, and use a noble hop variety like mentioned above so you aren't put off like you are with the American hop variety bitterness.

Do a relatively generous 60 min hop addition of say hallertau at 1 - 1.5 oz and no late hops and then on the other do only late hops.

You'll notice that both beers will have a quality or flavor missing.

I'm only thinking this will be a good idea because you may notice that a subtle bitterness can be favorable and you might pin-point how much is to your liking.... Which is something that nobody else can decide for you.

I make a fairly bitter pale ale and my first addition is at 15. It's balanced to the hops regarding bittering because I add enough hops to make up the fact that I don't add anything at 60. I'm sure to add enough to hit my target bitterness, but traditionally, 60 minutes is for bittering, 30 minutes for flavor and 15 for aroma.

Northern Brewer sells some pretty decent kits, but it's a great way to get going.

Thats a good point oceanic. I have noticed that import beers with some hops like Warsteiner (at least i think it has noticeable hops) is still very tasty to me. American hops and west coast style beers are downright disgusting.

Here is a handy graphic. Disregard the star in the slightly malty area, it was for the beer being described. This will get you started with balancing your beers to what you want to achieve.

Some bittering hops are necessary for balancing your beer. Question though, is it the bitter you don't enjoy or the hop flavor and aroma? You can have a malty pale ale that has a lot of hop flavor and aroma with low bitterness or you could have a bitter stout that has very little hop character but an added perceived bitterness from the toasty/coffee flavors.

I'm sure someone can clarify what I just stumbled through...either way, here is the graphic.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461203557.518248.jpg

Edit...original graphic courtesy of any recipe by BierMuncher posted in the database

Back