Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
This past weekend I bottled my second 5 gallon batch, Midwest's Irish Stout. I was all set, or so I thought. I had the bucket with the StarSan and water right next to me. I had filled six bottles before I realized that I forgot to sanitize the bottles. I know it could have been a lot worse. I could have wasted lots more. As it is I only sacrificed six to the beer gods. I am sure I am not the only one to have made this mistake. Painful, but a lesson learned.

They may or may not be ruined. I hope you kept track of which they were--they should be the first ones you drink.

It's not going to be the last mistake you made, and at least you didn't do it to all of them.

It's ok. I have brewed 5 gallons of St Paul Porter that will be ready to bottle in 4 weeks. I drink 3-4 beers per week between home-brew and Guinness Extra Stout, so I will have enough to spare. I still have 12 left from the 48 Caribou Slobber I bottled July 2nd, and I gave 15 of them away to family. Why did I brew so much? I bought three 5 gallon kits at Christmas time and want to use them up. I still have a Big Honking' Stout kit in the basement.

Awwww Man! You poured beer out?!? What is even more surprising is that you managed to pour all 6 bottles out. I would hope that after, I don't know, half a bottle or so you would've felt an intense amount of pain and suffering watching beer going down the drain. Realizing the error of your ways, you would've saved the other 5 and learned a hard lesson at the unnecessary loss of 12 ounces of home brew.

Those beers you poured out, they're not gone. Oh no. They remember.

They come back as ........

ZOMBEERS!!!

Uh, don't go to sleep.

All the Best,
D. White

Back