Rookie mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a simple Drifter clone. It is my second batch that called for hops. The first time I just dumped them in, this time I decided to use a sock (cheese cloth). Well not knowing that they swell like they do I put them in a small space. during clean up I opened the sock and realized the hops where one big ball so I'm not sure how much it actually infused the wort. Was this a bad mistake (flavor wise)? If so can I dry hop for more flavor?
Note: I did dump in the hops that was added the last 10 minutes.
Thanks,
:fro:

Was the ball saturated when you opened it.

Worst case you got limited extraction of ittering from the charge and the beer won't have the balance intended.

It's always best to let the hops swim as much as possible within reason limits since it is also easier to separate them from the wort before they go to the fermenter.

No matter what tho', they will settle out eventually.

Was the ball saturated when you opened it.

Worst case you got limited extraction of ittering from the charge and the beer won't have the balance intended.

It's always best to let the hops swim as much as possible within reason limits since it is also easier to separate them from the wort before they go to the fermenter.

No matter what tho', they will settle out eventually.

The ball was soaked though, but it was a really compact ball. Don't think I will use a sock again. My first batch came out fine when I just thew them in. if it didn't infuse well is dry hopping a possibility or would it be too hard to judge and pretty much create a new beer?
Thanks,

dry hopping will not add bitterness. it will only add aroma. if you beer is too sweet, there is little you can do about it.

Ok here is a continuation of this brew. It is on the sweet side as you can imagine. I only bottled up a six pack about 2 weeks ago. I am going to bottle the rest some time this week. Is there any way to bitter this up some?
Thanks,

during clean up I opened the sock and realized the hops where one big ball so I'm not sure how much it actually infused the wort. Was this a bad mistake (flavor wise)? If so can I dry hop for more flavor?
Note: I did dump in the hops that was added the last 10 minutes.

I've gotten good utilization from using a hop bag. I also squeeze the wort out of the hops before tossing, so I end up with a ball/clump that is fairly saturated.

Was the 10 min hop addition the only hops added? This will add some bittering, but not too much.

Not for the next batch. Don't think I will ever use a sock again. I mean this batch. Is there a way to cut ybs sweetness before I bottle. If not no biggey.

Back