Rolling Kegerator - Ice, Moving Kegs and Other Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm making a BierMuncher's style rolling kegerator using a 50 gallon trash can so I can fit 4 kegs. I have a couple questions about after the build:

This is for a 1 day party in June. Unit will be in shade.

1) I'm not planning to insulate it since reading that some folks said they didn't need it. Should I still use some rigid foam insulation to cover the kegs before untying the lid down?

2) How far do I fill the unit with ice.... To the top of the kegs?

3) The kegs will be moved from my basement keezer to my backyard. Any concerns with sediment, etc I need to consider?

Keep in mind I will have all of my kegs in use do no ability to rack to a clean keg.

4) I have 1 keg of Applefwein I'll be serving in addition to the 4 kegs of beer in the kegerator.

Any ideas on how to ice this and serve it up since I won't have room in the kegerator?

Thanks!

1) Probably not necessary - but, wouldn't hurt..
2) Yes
3) Move the kegs up from basement at least 24hrs prior to putting in wheeled kegerator so any sediment stirred up during move can settle.
4) Apfelwein in native Germany is served at room temperature..Can be served 'on the rocks'..

1) Probably not necessary - but, wouldn't hurt..
2) Yes
3) Move the kegs up from basement at least 24hrs prior to putting in wheeled kegerator so any sediment stirred up during move can settle.
4) Apfelwein in native Germany is served at room temperature..Can be served 'on the rocks'..

I agree on all, but will elaborate on 3. Set the kegerator up the day before the party(24-36 hours), fill with ice, wrap in a blanket. Drill some holes in the bottom for water drainage. The day of the party refill ice as needed, remove blankets. Pull a beer or 2 off each tap before it kicks off with the folks that are helping you set up. That will get anything you stirred up.

You could always grab another tote or garbage can to fill with ice and use a party tap for the apfelwein.

Back