rolled oats vs. flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampete1

Reaction score
Is there a difference between rolled oats and flaked oats? If a recipe calls for 1 pound of rolled oats is the equivalent needed for flaked oats as a substitute?

Is there a difference between rolled oats and flaked oats?

There may or may not be. Both are rolled, but with "flaked" you know that they were wetted before they were rolled (and with the friction from being rolled, they had some gelatinization). "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" are not wetted before being rolled, so it's often encouraged that they should be cooked before being mashed. With my brews, I just go ahead and get flaked oats from the HBS since I know I won't need any pre-mash steps. With getting "rolled" from certain sources, it's hard to figure as to whether they need to be cooked or not.

There may or may not be. Both are rolled, but with "flaked" you know that they were wetted before they were rolled (and with the friction from being rolled, they had some gelatinization). "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" are not wetted before being rolled, so it's often encouraged that they should be cooked before being mashed. With my brews, I just go ahead and get flaked oats from the HBS since I know I won't need any pre-mash steps. With getting "rolled" from certain sources, it's hard to figure as to whether they need to be cooked or not.

There seems to be a lot of disinformation on the many threads concerning oats. So, I thought I would add something from Mr. Breakfast himself (!): http://www.mrbreakfast.com/glossary_term.asp?glossaryID=13

"All mass-market American oatmeal cereals are made from rolled oats. Rolled oats are cleaned, graded and pearled - a process that removes the husk from the oat grain, steam-softens it, and then rolls it flat between heavy metal rollers spinning at super speed."

<snip>

"What’s the difference between Old Fashioned and Quick Oats? According to Quaker Consumer Relations, "The only difference between Old-Fashioned Oats and Quick is that the Quick Oats are cut into smaller pieces to shorten the cooking time.""

This last point has been mentioned before, but there are several threads insisting that you need to use the Quick Oats. This clearly suggests that if you're planning to run the oats through your grain mill it doesn't matter. RDWHAHB!

There seems to be a lot of disinformation on the many threads concerning oats. So, I thought I would add something from Mr. Breakfast himself (!): http://www.mrbreakfast.com/glossary_term.asp?glossaryID=13

"All mass-market American oatmeal cereals are made from rolled oats. Rolled oats are cleaned, graded and pearled - a process that removes the husk from the oat grain, steam-softens it, and then rolls it flat between heavy metal rollers spinning at super speed."

<snip>

"What’s the difference between Old Fashioned and Quick Oats? According to Quaker Consumer Relations, "The only difference between Old-Fashioned Oats and Quick is that the Quick Oats are cut into smaller pieces to shorten the cooking time.""

This last point has been mentioned before, but there are several threads insisting that you need to use the Quick Oats. This clearly suggests that if you're planning to run the oats through your grain mill it doesn't matter. RDWHAHB!

This was the same explanation that I received from the guy of my local "grain / green" store.. he explained me in detail the process, and the difference is that the quick oats are crushed and the rolled aren't.

The reason for that (from food perspective) is that is better use rolled oats when you want to use it for a crunchier granola for example.

You can't mash alone, but just add equal amounts of 2-row to oats and you should get good conversion for a partial mash.

Okay, cool... it says "must be mashed" and "use 1-2 lb in the mash"... but that sounds like work! Thanks.

You can steep flaked oats, however oats alone do not contain enzymes to convert their starches to fermentable sugars. To do that, you need to mash with some base malt, i.e. a partial mash. While it's not that difficult, compared to steeping there is a little more time involved (an hour), and a little more attention to maintaining temperature.

I've never made an oatmeal stout, but I would think that the character of the finished beer would be different with steeped oats vs. a partial mash using oats. I say try it.

Sounds good mr bell.. Thanks. Will some chocolate malt be enough (I guess I might start to get off flavors from tannins and such if I leave that in too long), or do I need a little 2 row? I might have to delay starting until I can get back up to the LHBS. I'm currently sipping on an IPA that turned out damn good.

Def 2 row, 2 lbs would likely do it. Add your oats, choc. Malt and any other specialty grains. I'd describe the process but you can find that on the forum. I use death brewers 2 pot method. Good luck, it's really not that hard.

I have a friend that sent me some brew from OH... shipping was a beast, lol... I'm pretty broke, you'll have to drive to NC, haha.

Back