Rogue Yeast Hiding in My Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Kegged 10gal of witbier this weekend and the darndest thing happened.

I'd cold crashed the wit for a few days (long story, its still hazy) and dumped the yeast. Couple days later I saw nothing in my sight-glass, went to keg, and all went smooth for the first 7.5gal or so. But then BOOM! a huge glob of yeast dropped down into the sight glass and gunked-up my transfer. I was able to fix it easy enough, but where the heck did THAT come from? Was it clinging to the walls? Did some of my Safale-134 decide to go top-side on me?

Regardless, the end the beer turned out great! 🍻

Glad to hear the beer turned out well! I cannot speak to that particular strain, I would guess the glob was krausen and/or yeast suspended in krausen that was clinging to the side and then lost the battle with gravity once you removed it's liquid support system.

What did the inside of the conical look like after you completed the transfer (assuming you opened it for cleaning)?

Back