Rogue dead guy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzfest05

Reaction score
Shopping around the liquor store looking for new beers and to my surprise found rogue. First time it's in Canada just cracked one open and I love it.

We used to say the us had weak beers but this comes in at 6.6% it hold it's own.

Not too bad Oregon +1 point.

It's a general consensus back maybe 10 20 years ago you guys didn't have strong beer readily available.

I'm drinking a locally brewer chocolate cranberry ale at 10.1%.

Cheers

Ah fair enough. I could see how that opinion would have existed before the current "hombrew revolution" we are all currently enjoying.

Enjoy the brew!

Ah fair enough. I could see how that opinion would have existed before the current "hombrew revolution" we are all currently enjoying.

Enjoy the brew!

Yeah- the OP is way out of date for the U.S. beer scene I'm familiar with. Our favorite watering hole has a habit (we believe) of having a few too many of its 28 taps (and two cask engines) devoted to big beers. By big beer, I generally mean about anything that's over 7% ABV or so. In any given week, they'll have a couple of imperial stouts, maybe an IIPA, a couple of big belgians, a strong ale.....and the beat goes on. If the OP wants a big beer, c'mon down!

rico567 said:
Yeah- the OP is way out of date for the U.S. beer scene I'm familiar with. Our favorite watering hole has a habit (we believe) of having a few too many of its 28 taps (and two cask engines) devoted to big beers. By big beer, I generally mean about anything that's over 7% ABV or so. In any given week, they'll have a couple of imperial stouts, maybe an IIPA, a couple of big belgians, a strong ale.....and the beat goes on. If the OP wants a big beer, c'mon down!

As I said it goes more for commercial availability 10 years ago or so. Also we Cannucks love some high abv, maybe you come on up .

This is interesting, a buddy and I were just discussing this a week or two ago, about the ABV of Kokanee. He was saying it was weaker here than up there, but the bottles I had matched what all the websites showed.

Maybe he was thinking of something years ago? 3.2% sounds about like what he was thinking.

Kosch

Kokanee is from bc and it's a great beer pretty sure it's 5.0 as most lagers are up here.

McHaven said:
My only problem with Dead Guy Ale: The labels are near impossible to get off.

Omg your like a mind reader I soaked my bottle for 20 minutes and had to scrape it off, do they use a hot glue gun or something .

It's a general consensus back maybe 10 20 years ago you guys didn't have strong beer readily available.

I'm drinking a locally brewer chocolate cranberry ale at 10.1%.

Cheers

i spent a lot of time in canada 20-25 years ago. they had great beer then, but the us has changed. bmc etc is going by the wayside more often, and real beer is getting more common. on the rare occasion i buy beer, it's 6-8%. you can buy your cranberry raisin count chocula granola beer, but just give me a good sierra nevada celebration, and i'm a happy man :D

Omg your like a mind reader I soaked my bottle for 20 minutes and had to scrape it off, do they use a hot glue gun or something .

Hmmm, I don't remember having problems with dead guy labels, but its been a while.

Are you just soaking in water? I usually soak in hot water + oxyclean, and almost all labels come right off with very little trouble.

Not sure where in Canada you are from, but the LCBO in Ontario has been carrying Dead Guy for a while now. I actually had 4 of them last night (plus a bottle of a one-off stout from Amsterdam Brewing that doesn't even have a name).

Unfortunately, it's one of the only half-decent US beers that's regularly available here, and it's often not that fresh, resulting in no hop flavor, yet a fair amount of bitterness. When they're like that, I need to eat something sweet to offset it.

The other half-decent US beers that are regularly available here are Brooklyn Lager (again, usually not very fresh compared to when I had it a few years ago, so it's often not that pleasant), and Anchor Steam. I remember Anchor Liberty Ale being available several years ago though, and I much preferred that.

There's also often one or more beers from Sam Adams and Southern Tier, but none of their particularly amazing ones. Other than that, we really just hope to get something good from an occasional season release (the LCBO's seasonal releases, not necessarily the breweries').

You think 6.6% Dead Guy is high ABV? I cleaned a store out of Double Dead Guy a few months ago... not only is that stuff 9.5%, but it comes in 750ml bottles - the same size as a typical wine bottle. Just one of those is like drinking 5 bottles of BMC! Or more than 3 bottles of regular Dead Guy.

A good number of my 12 oz bottles formerly contained Dead Guy. Cases at Costco for $24. The oxyclean soak works well, and the labels come right off. The painted 22 oz bottles aren't worth the effort to try to clean up. I might try a strong starsan mix to try to strip the paint off the Rogue XS imperial red bottles to have some 7 oz gift bottles.

I might try a strong starsan mix to try to strip the paint off the Rogue XS imperial red bottles to have some 7 oz gift bottles.

I have not had much luck with starsan and rogue paint. Stone paint comes right off, but it appears rogue uses different paint.

Calm down my friends,
It's first I have seen of rogue in london Ontario. I don't think 6.8 is high abv but for a beer from the us yes, yes I do.
In Ontario I travel for work all across Ontario so I know what we have available.

I'm always looking at selection, and to the guy that knocked the chocolate cranberry stout, relax guy , I don't drink stouts usually especially chocolate stouts but this one would make you bow down on one knee son.

Also, the whole thing about Canada having better and stronger beers than the US is based on certain perspectives and misunderstandings.

First off, I've met just as many Americans as I have Canadians (if not more) who say our beer is better and stronger. One very notable observation is that these are inevitably BMC/macrobrew drinkers. And from that perspective, there's a fair amount of truth. However, one thing that surprises most people is that the #1 selling beer in Ontario is... Coors Light.

Also, the idea that Canadian beer is stronger, while sometimes having a bit of merit with regards to the typical light macrolagers, comes largely from the different ways of measuring alcohol content. In Canada, it is always measured as Alcohol by Volume (ABV). In the US, it was often measured as Alcohol by Weight (ABW, equivalent to ABV times 0.8), especially in the past, though brewers are increasingly moving to ABV, as I understand it. So lets say you have a beer that is 5% ABV. It would have frequently been labeled in the US as 4% ABW. Somebody not aware of the difference (which is true of most people) would often notice this difference and conclude that the American version was weaker. Frequent repeating of this belief, by both Americans AND Canadians, only further cemented it as "fact".

And as a Canadian - and more importantly, a craft beer fanatic - whenever I hear that Canadian beer is stronger, and ESPECIALLY when I hear that it's "better", from somebody on either side of the border, I can't help but cringe. Because the truth is, when you look at craft beer, not only does the US have a heck of a lot more high-ABV beers (which are also far more likely to push the limits), but they just have a far more developed scene, less restrictive laws and regulations, and a population that has far more awareness of, and appreciation and demand for, craft beer. And all this results in a craft beer industry that is just light years ahead of what we have in Canada, in terms of quantity, quality, and creativity.

So I'm not afraid to say that, on the whole, Americans have much better beer, because it's not even a close match up. Our MILITARIES are probably more evenly matched than our craft beer industries are!

davefleck said:
Flip the coin, what exactly do you the great north sends south. Answer = a whole lot of yawn.

I don't know but I do go to the states for business, in the grocery stores I didn't see much beer selection at all . Lousy Michigan . But it's understandable for a grocery store.

Yeah, I think emjay is spot on. It's less about the difference between Canadian and American beer nowadays as it is about people who just don't know that much about beer. When the average person says "beer", he's not talking about anything remotely close to a craft beer. Plus, craft beer is so diverse that comparing one country's industry to another's with broad generalizations isn't really fair. I will admit that as a whole the US craft scene is ahead of the Canadian one, although perhaps not to the point that emjay sees it. I understand where he's coming from, though. I think part of it lies not just in the difference between countries, but from state to state (and province to province). Some places have liquor laws that are more favourable to breweries, and therefor you will have more craft breweries having an easier time making money, and therefor being able to worry more about the "craft" than just the "brewing".

I think there's a few other reasons why we had the idea that out beer was stronger that your beer (feel free to correct any facts that I have wrong). First off, I know alcohol content hasn't always been listed in the US. Obviously that's changed, but even I've bought beer in the past 3 years in the US that didn't have the alcohol content listed. That makes it tough to compare. Secondly and like I mentioned earlier, liquor laws vary from state to state and province to province, so what might be true in Washington, Oregon and California might not be true elsewhere. Is it possible that beer brewed to 5% for some places is brewed to a lower % for others ? The standard up here is 5%; can you guarantee that your average BMC has always been 5% ABV (or 4% ABW) ? The beer that I bought without alcohol content listed (in Alabama by the way) was definitely not 5%. There's no way that me and my friends could drink as much as we did (and have to piss and much as we did) without falling over ourselves and passing out, which we didn't.

It's not about the difference between Canadian and American beer; it's about perception and people who don't really know beer. And yeah, I've seen Rogue up here for a while and it's probably been here longer than I know. And please, if you want to try a good BC beer, don't buy Kokanee. If you want a BMC-style 'session' beer for watching a hockey game or going camping, go ahead and get a case of Kokanee. But do yourself a favour and look for Driftwood if you want something nice.

Back