Rogue Chipotle Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omegaman13

Reaction score
Chipotle Ale..... Probably one of the weirdest beers I've had in a while. I got a 25 ozer of it and thought it was a pretty cool flavor. Smoky aroma, reddish tinted frothy head, spicy kind of finish, mixed well with hops and malt. Tastes like someone put a burnt hot dog in the fermenter with a few peppers.

Great taste at first, definitely wont by a 25oz for myself again though. Just wierd.

Chile beers are ok for a couple sips. I'd rather eat the peppers & use ale to cool things off.

First time I tried it, I thought "I should make this". Then I thought "What would I do with 5 gallons of this?"

Do what I just did...3 gallons!

The rogue product is interesting...I've had it a few times and the amount of heat has varied greatly. I suspect it's a freshness thing...

I just tried the Chipotle Ale this weekend. Had it with some Cajun brats and while it was good, it was almost too much pepper in the food and drink overall. I'm with David... I'd rather have a non-pepper ale to cool my palate after a peppery brat.

Sidenote - I was REALLY impressed with the Rogue Juniper Pale Ale.

I was at a Rogue event in NYC at the Blind Tiger recently and Sebbie from Rogue introduced us to what she called "Hole' Mole'" It's a half & half of Chipotle Ale and Rogue Chocolate Stout. All I have to say is WOW! it was awesome! The chocolate come straight threw with the chipotle hitting the finish one of my favorite half & halfs.

I love Sebbie.

As far as chili beers, if done right, they can be great session beers. My Yankee Drifter Muchos Gracias with 2 lbs of Anaheim peppers came out great and 5 gallons was not nearly enough. A ton of pepper flavor without the heat.

Thanks to Brewpastor for the technique.

We tried this recently and while i enjoyed tasting it for the first time i probably would not purchase it again. it wasn't bad though.

Not very many threads on this particular beer. I finally broke down and bought a bomber of this tonight. It's a LOT milder than I thought it would be. I think the smoked pepper flavor comes through nicely without adding any real heat.

I agree with some of the replys though. Good stuff however, I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had five gallons of the stuff... :) Definitely not an 'everyday' beer...

Not a fan of chili in my beers. I'll give rogue props because they like to experiment, but that leads to hit or miss beers.

First sip I thought this is great...half a glass down I thought this is gross. Still not sure how I feel about it.

I scored a bomber of it last night, and had to choke down the second glass of it..I tried to enjoy it but have to admit its not a beer I will try time after time.

i had this at a mexican restaurant with quesadillas (i think.) it really went well together but i don't think i would like it by itself

Really surprised that not a single person thought this would be good beer to brew. The firsttime I tasted it I thought "ugh! rauchbier" but halfway through I really started to get into it. Now I try to keep a couple bottles at the ready at all times. And I would definitely brew a batch if I had a recipe for it.
Cheers!:mug:

Last week a buddy and I sat down and worked out a recipe for this, after drinking a couple and becoming instant fans. Haven't brewed it yet, and this could be way off, but here is what we came up with:

18lb 2-row
.5lb flaked oats
2lb carapils
1lb flaked corn
.75 munich

.75 Warrior at 60 min
.75 Cascade at 2 min

WLP008 East Coast Ale

smoked jalapenos in secondary

We also talked about putting pico de gallo and sweet corn in the secondary, but probably won't.

Last week a buddy and I sat down and worked out a recipe for this, after drinking a couple and becoming instant fans. Haven't brewed it yet, and this could be way off, but here is what we came up with:

18lb 2-row
.5lb flaked oats
2lb carapils
1lb flaked corn
.75 munich

.75 Warrior at 60 min
.75 Cascade at 2 min

WLP008 East Coast Ale

smoked jalapenos in secondary

We also talked about putting pico de gallo and sweet corn in the secondary, but probably won't.

Reviving an old thread, but was this clone ever tried/brewed? I'd be interested to know how it turned out.

Back