Roggenbier Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattTrain

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm interested in brewing a Roggenbier next weekend but I haven't had a lot of commercial samples. I fell in love with the style while working at a local brew pub many years ago. I remember the yeast being the highlight of the beer... lots of banana and clove going on there. I've done some reading up in BYO and a few other websites and I came up with the below recipe. Tear it apart!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast 3068 (this may change due to LHBS availability)
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2-3 weeks @ 64-68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

Malt Bill
5.5 lb Vienna
4.0 lb Rye
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Rice Hulls
0.25 lb Melanoidin (not super familiar with this malt. I read I could use it to make up for not doing a decoction mash but no idea how much to use.)
0.25 lb Carafa I

Hops
0.5 oz Hallertau 60 min
0.5 oz Tettnanger 60 min

Thanks!

Theres not enough rye malt. Basically you are making a dunkel weizen with rye instead of wheat. So 50%-70% rye malt. the rest a mix of munich malts, and a little debittered black malt to color.

Some people add crystal malts to a dunkelweizen/roggenbier, im not a fan. But if you do, id keep it to 5% or less. Too much and I think it starts to taste oddly like pepsi-cola. ymmv.

Meladonin is a 25Lish super munich style malt. Vaguely similar to belgian aromatic, or honey malt. It gives an exagerated munich malt type aroma. 2 to 3% is a good place to start.

try to find a roggenweizen recipe I did one a tone of rye 40%, a bit of wheat 20%, some biscuit, crystal, and other specialty grains whatever you like to bring the flavors you want to the table 10% six row because it has about 6 times the amylase content to help with conversion, and the beer style can be cloudy. Also, a butt load of rice hulls is necessary. I would also use wyeast 3638 bavarian wheat yeast its about the best for banana and clove flavors, especially when fermented at wicked high temps.

Thanks for the input! I adjusted the grain bill. What do you think now? The only thing I'm concerned about is head retention. I'd add a little wheat if you think I'll need it.

7.0 lb Rye (US)
3.0 lb Vienna (DE)
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Rice Hulls
0.25 lb Melanoidin
0.25 lb Carafa I

Dont be concerned about head retention, despite the oiliness of rye, ive never had an issue. mmunich would be more traditional than vienna, but that will make a tasty beer regardless.

Thanks. I was considering Munich, but I did some reading about it vs Vienna and found that most brewers don't like to use Munich as a base malt due to it's diastatic power.

Last question here... I've never used Rye before. Is a half pound of rice hulls adequate to avoid a stuck sparge? I use a gatorade cooler with a metal braid as my mash ton.

Also remember this is rye malt, not unmalted rye. It can self convert.

Rye is gummy. I use a 1/2 lb in a similar setup, with no problems, but I decoct, which may help. If you are nervous use a lb, it wont hurt.

yea, I've never had an issue with stuck sparges (even with oats) but adding hulls doesn't hurt and they're basically free for what my lhbs sells them at

Back