Rocks of...........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who have been living under a rock, working for a living, or simply not interested I wanted to tell you about my newest hobby.

A while back, a "Kindness Rock" movement was born. It grew until there are actually organized groups, worldwide but especially in the US, where people are painting and hiding rocks with artwork or sayings on them and posting about it.

It was even on the Today show: https://www.today.com/parents/rock-painting-groups-connect-families-communities-t111934

I got involved with this movement in S. Texas last winter, and then brought it back to my area in the UP of Michigan.

So while I'm a rather terrible artist, I started doing it here.

It is not only bringing a smile to people's faces, it is encouraging people to get out and move. Walk and find rocks- you can't find them sitting at your computer or watching TV.

I started a facebook for my town, which grew to cover my county. We live in a rural area (only about 8,000 people in my whole county, with one red light in the county), and we have over 650 members.

We paint some rocks, and simply put them where people will come upon them unexpectedly. I've done some with simple artwork, and some that are cartoon characters, and my husband (who is warped) has encouraged me to paint rocks that look like amputated fingers or toes. I've painted rocks that look like cheeseburgers or pizza, waterfall scenes, and so on.

There is a hashtag on the rock with our facebook address, and the idea is for someone who finds the rock to post it on facebook and then re-hide it. It's been fun to watch the rocks "travel", and to involve people of all ages in this hobby.

It's one of those "weird but true" things. I'm probably going to paint some beer rocks too- I just never thought of it before.

I've seen those painted rocks all over and never knew there was a following behind them. Kind of cool. I usually just say "hey that's a cool looking rock" and go on with my day. Maybe I'll pay a bit more attention.

Does this one count? Can't move it but sure is a big painted rock.

jesus rock.jpg

I keep finding them. There's a canal that my dog and I walk along. There is no sidewalk, buildings, or anything. Very few people walk along it because the grass can be long sometimes (just got back from there).

I've found two painted rocks off that path. They weren't just painted solid, but somebody took their time to paint designs on them. First time, I was a little flabergasted. How'd that get back here? Anyway, found a couple along that trail, then another one a week ago somewhere else and a person with me said it's some sort of a movement. So, thanks for putting a name to it.

Back