Rocket Launch this morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NASA is trying to launch a capsule into space to test the reentry. It's been delayed a few times due to wind and most recently due to a valve alarm, but there is still time to lift off yet this morning. I think they have until about 9:44am to get that candle lit!

You can watch live at www.nasa.gov :rockin:

Launch went off without a hitch. The module is currently orbiting for a couple of hours before returning for a GPS guided splashdown in the ocean a bit later.

They are currently doing interviews at the control center discussing the mission and the future Mars mission. The interviewer is kind of cute!

Launch went off without a hitch. The module is currently orbiting for a couple of hours before returning for a GPS guided splashdown in the ocean a bit later.

They are currently doing interviews at the control center discussing the mission and the future Mars mission. The interviewer is kind of cute!

How cool would it be to see a manned mission to Mars in our lifetime? That would just be so friggin awesome.

I've been waiting for a manned Mars mission myself. We need to get back to the glory days. Besides some live video from the surface. That'd be very cool to see.

I'm all for sending someone(s) on a one-way mission. I mean, we send people to their death all the time in this world, why not make some scientific progress while we are at it?

Mostly I just like watching rockets though. I'll never forgive myself for backing out of a night launch of the space shuttle when we took a vacation to FL years ago. I should have sucked it up and drove over to KSC even though I was really tired.

How cool would it be to see a manned mission to Mars in our lifetime? That would just be so friggin awesome.

Yes it would..... and I hope NASA consults me when the time comes. I've got a crew of folks I would like to see on that flight already picked out! :D

And they are all Major ASS-tro-nutz!

I vote her for the "I think she's hot but you probably don't" thread. I vote her hot.

NASA not having an operational manned spacecraft just hasn't felt right. Orion is a great first step in getting back to where they/we belong in exploration.

But what are they going to do for an orbital vehicle to service the ISS? Continue to pay the Russian's? And soon the Chinese?

Let's hope the next republican president put's some money back into the program... :rockin:

NASA not having an operational manned spacecraft just hasn't felt right. Orion is a great first step in getting back to where they/we belong in exploration.

But what are they going to do for an orbital vehicle to service the ISS? Continue to pay the Russian's? And soon the Chinese?

Let's hope the next republican president put's some money back into the program... :rockin:

NASA Selects SpaceX

SpaceX is taking huge steps. I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm all for sending someone(s) on a one-way mission. I mean, we send people to their death all the time in this world, why not make some scientific progress while we are at it?

Mostly I just like watching rockets though. I'll never forgive myself for backing out of a night launch of the space shuttle when we took a vacation to FL years ago. I should have sucked it up and drove over to KSC even though I was really tired.

You're right and yes that would be interesting to see how far out there we could reach. With the rapid loss of bone density up there imagine what child birth would do to a woman. Weird stuff.

Shame you missed the launch. I hope to see one myself sometime.

The first time I saw the Grasshopper (SpaceX) take off and land, I was absolutely speechless.

Great launch. One of the benefits of living in Florida....We watch the launches on TV then walk out into the front yard in time to see them coming up over the horizon. Havent missed watching a launch in 15 years. Night launches are the BEST!!

I recommend listening to the StarTalk podcasts if you want some great (and fun) discussion with astronauts, physicists, and comedians regarding space travel and what it takes to get to Mars. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a great host and has been doing this show for many years. He's also the host of the renewed Cosmos tv series.

I listened to one this weekend while doing lawn work. He and his hosts (including Mike Mannino, astronaut) were discussing some fun stuff. Apparently, astronauts have experimented with low-gravity propulsion by farting, sex in space, and crapping in space (seriously - they train extensively for this, with a toilet that has a camera inside so they can see how they're doing). Of course, all the cool science stuff is there too.

There were two "Packing for Mars" episodes last year.

NO, that's not right. NASA says as far as they know there has been no sex in space...

;)

Russian cosmonauts, who apparently are a brazen crew, have admitted to taking care of this business discreetly (and privately). The libido must be satisfied.

I heard there were rumours of a taped sex session. In fact, I think I heard it on a startalk episode by Mike Massino. Might be a bit of PR subterfuge to drum up interest in the space program.

Procreation is a kind of big deal. Besides the act of sex, simple stuff like fetal development in zero gravity should be considered. I'd be very surprised if there haven't been experiments with animals.

For all of you interested in joining BK's Mars colony, What about Mars-One? Havent they already recruited volunteers?

My oldest son got up early and drove over (from Orlando) to watch the launch. Wish I was with him.

I've seen one day and one night launch of the shuttle. Just awesome...

In talking with some of the older locals, they said the old Apollo launches made a shuttle launch seem like a fire cracker.

I can't imagine because I was blown away by the two shuttle launches I saw.

... and back to earth, safe and sound. Two quick trips around the pale blue dot.

Had the engineers here sweating bullets. The only way the world would know we had a part on that craft was if it just went *bloop* into the ocean, never to be seen again. We are all winners today.
:rockin:

NASA Selects SpaceX

SpaceX is taking huge steps. I wouldn't worry about that.

I didn't realize they had already flown to ISS, though unmanned. When NASA canceled the shuttle program, I just stopped watching. Kind of like I did when my stocks went from $110/share down to $1.25. Just couldn't bare to watch any longer...

Yeah, the old Apollo launches were awesome with 5 Saturn Five engines going at once.I was getting an MRI done around lunch time & missed the splashdown. Wanted to see that part too...While I was inside the machine, David Bowie's song Space Oddity was going through my head,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceX's Crew Dragon will launch to the ISS on November 14 at 19:49. This will be the second manned flight of the Crew Dragon. The first flight took place on May 30. Then Crew Dragon successfully docked to the ISS and delivered astronauts Douglas Hurley and Robert Behnken to the station. The Crew Dragon launch marks the first manned flight since 2011 from the United States on a locally made spacecraft. For the past ten years, American cosmonauts have been airlifted to the ISS by Russian Soyuz.

Back