Rock Star Anise Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavywalker

Reaction score
Got a wild hair on the way home from work tonight and stopped by the LHBS, to pick up a few things for this weekends brew, got home and decided that I would brew this up tonight. Just pitched US-05 at 68*F.

Will add the vanilla as noted once primary is complete. Never made a porter before, hope it turns out good. I am looking for a beer with a good mouth feel tasting notes should be chocolate up front with hints of caramel, vanilla, and black licorice. Hope it turns out!

Method: Extract
Style: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.059 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)
Original Gravity: 1.071
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.020
ABV (standard)6.71%
IBU (tinseth): 32.74
SRM (morey): 33.22

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
6 lb Dry Malt Extract - Amber 42 10 61.5%
2 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat 42 3 20.5%
8 lb Total

Steeping Grains

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
12 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 7.7%
1 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 10.3%

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Northern Brewer Pellet 7.8 Boil 60 min 27.3
1 oz Northern Brewer Pellet 7.8 Boil 5 min 5.44

Other Ingredients

Amount Name Type Use Time
0.5 tsp Irish moss Fining Boil 10 min
1 each Star Anise Spice Boil 5 min
2 each Vanilla Bean Flavor Secondary 7 days

Yeast

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 rehydrated

Notes

Steep grains at 155*F for 30 minutes.

Slice vanilla bean length wise and scrape insides then cut into 1 inch pieces and steep in a sanitized mason jar with vodka for a week. Add entire contents bean and vodka to fermenter 7 days prior to bottling.

Took a hydro sample last night and this was gooooood, I have not added the vanilla yet will probably do that this weekend but the taste was what I was looking for. Chocolate was the star up front with a slight bit of bitterness from the hops but just enough to complement the sweetness in the brew, with hints of caramel and star anise on the finish. The star anise I was afraid would be too much but it wasn't, just a hint, I'm not sure I would know what it was if I hadn't know it was in there. The SG was at 1.02 and krausen has mostly fallen just a fine layer of bubbles remain on top. Anyways I can't wait to add the vanilla and bottle this one.

Back