Rochefort 10 Clone Partial Mash Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMarz

Reaction score
Hey all, this is one of my favorite beers and I'd love to be able to get something like it out of my home brew set up. I know it's not all grain but I'm hoping the grains i've selected can get some of that amazing Rochefort character into my homebrew. All of your help is appreciated. Cheers!!! :mug:

Fermentables
11 oz Belgian - CaraMunich 3.9%
2 oz Belgian - Biscuit 0.7%
0.5 lb Belgian - Munich 2.8%
3.5 lb Belgian - Pilsner 19.6%
0.25 lb carafa special II 1.4%
1.75 lb DME Extra Light. 9.8%
10 lb LME Extra Light. 56.1%
1 lb Belgian Candi Syrup D2. 5.6% (add D2 midway into fermentation

Hops
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings 60 min
1.25 oz Domestic Hallertau 60 min
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings 5 min
0.5 oz Domestic Hallertau 5 min

Other
Worfloc tab. 15 min
0.5 oz coriander 5 min

Mash Guidelines
2 gallons 154F for one hour

How did it turn out? I did an R10 clone a few times. I did 2 separate extract with specialty grain versions, a mini mash like you, and I just did an all grain last month. So far the latest one is coming along nicely. Tasted it today and it tastes of plum and dark fruit. This is the first time I couldn't use the Rochefort yeast strain. I used Westmalle strain with this batch. So the flavor isn't quite the same but it's good all the same.

I realized last minute that I wasn't using nearly enough candi/sucros to get the body I was after, so I ended up throwing another pound of clear candi in at the peak of fermentation. Even then I feel like it should be a little thinner. Besides that, this is still one of the best beers I've created and it's definitely on track (with some tweaking) to be a solid partial mash roch 10 clone.

Back