Robust Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
I'm new at this recipe thing but I think this one fits the style. What do you guys think? Any finishing touches from the brewmeisters would be appreciated!

Canoe Paddle Porter

Brewer: Indian Lake Brewery Email: -
Beer: Canoe Paddle Porter Style: Robust Porter
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 99 HCU (~35 SRM)
Bitterness: 20 IBU
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.4% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 1.0 lb. British crystal 95-115L
.5 lb. British chocolate
1.0 lb. Flaked barley
Boil: minutes SG 1.089 3.0 gallons
3.3 lb. Dark malt extract
2.5 lb. Light dry malt extract
.75 lb. Brown Sugar
Hops: .5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 30 min.)

pretty straightforward as is, but it could use some roasted barley or black patent (1/4 lb.) --if you wnat of course. i wouldn't use brown sugar. i've never been happy with the flavor it gives. there's just something off about it in my opinion. use invert sugar or bump up the extract. the hops are an interesting combo of english/american, but the two are very similar, so they'll be good. the flaked barley should give a nice mouthfeel to it, but isn't really a classic ingredient for the style. i like the idea of the flaked barley in it though. all around pretty good.

I'd agree with adding a bit of black patent. Not too much. I use .15 lb in my robust porter. I've never added brown sugar so can't comment on that.

So based on you guys' advice here's the new recipe, 'cept I substituted the DME for more dark LME and added a lb. of honey instead of the brown sugar:

Canoe Paddle Porter

Brewer: Indian Lake Brewery Email: -
Beer: Canoe Paddle Porter Style: Robust Porter
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 127 HCU (~41 SRM)
Bitterness: 26 IBU
OG: 1.061 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 6.3% v/v (5.0% w/w)

Grain: 1.0 lb. British crystal 95-115L
.15 lb. American black patent
0.5 lb. British chocolate
1.0 lb. Flaked barley

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.112 3.0 gallons
7 lb. Dark malt extract
1 lb. Honey

Hops: 2.0 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 60 min.)

I'm quite new to brewing, and porter is second on my list of things to make. I have not brewed porter before, and I have one main question here. What yeast would you use for this recipe? I know that there's a poll and all, but do you have a recommendation for a yeast that a n00b should order for this recipe to give it a try? Thanks!

I have only made one thus far but I used nottinghams ale yeast (dry) and it tasted very good, I only have a couple bottles left I am saving for a special occasion.

I'm trying to decide between irish ale yeast and london ale III yeast for my porter right now.

-walker

I've used irish ale (wyeast 1084) and thames valley (wyeast 1275), and both have made great beer. Seems hard to go wrong using any yeast characteristic for the region.

i would go with london ale or burton ale yeast since thats where the style came from, but any english or irish yeast will work, or american for that matter. (cali ale is a good clean one)

Back