Robust Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
Brewing up a Robust Porter this weekend. I might add some bourbon soaked oak cubes later on, but I haven't decided yet. Here's what I got so far...

5.5 Gallons
1.062 Target OG
45 IBUS

9.5 lbs 2-row
1.25 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Crystal 40
.5 lbs Crystal 120 Mash @ 154
10 oz Chocolate
6 oz Black Patent

1 oz N. Brewer 9.4% @ 60
.5 oz N. Brewer 9.4% @ 15
.5 oz N. Brewer 9.4% @ 5

WLP013 London Ale 200ml Starter

I scaled back the Crystal a smidge and added little more roast. I also opted for a cleaner yeast. Here's what I'm going to be brewing this Saturday:

9.25# 2-row
1.25# Munich

10oz Crystal 40
4oz Crystal 120

10oz Chocolate
7oz Black Patent

1oz N.Brewer @ 60
.5oz N.Brewer @ 15
.5oz N. Brewer @ 5

Wyeast 1056

I'd get rid of a malt. You won't be able to tell the Munich and you could replace it for 2-row and an oz of black patent. Simple is good!

Great thread! I'm thinking about the brewing the same when the basement gets about 5 degrees colder. I plan to use English crystal and chocolates.

Not telling OP but consider brown malt instead of crystal for porter. Cracking stuff ;)

My personal opinion;

Drop the C40 and the black, and double the choc and C120.

I'd keep the munich.

I wound up sticking with what I had, and so far I'm pretty happy. I hit 1.060 for my O.G. and finished with a FG of 1.012. The beer tasted great going into bottles. Really nice balance between the caramel and roast flavors, and bitterness is right where I want it to be. Pretty excited to taste the final product in a few weeks. :)

Back