Robust Porter Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

porterguy

Reaction score
I'm making a robust porter, but want to keep it around 5%. Here is my pre-base malt recipe:

1.75 lb. white wheat
1.75 lb. brown malt
.5 lb. coffee malt
.5 lb. extra dark crystal malt
.5 lb chocolate wheat

So... how much Maris Otter to get me around 5% ABV?

Thanks!:bigmug:

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... how much Maris Otter to get me around 5% ABV?
It will vary based on your system and efficiency (and mash temp as well). You will likely need about 10 lbs of grain total for a 5 gallon batch to get in that range. If you don't use recipe software, I would strongly recommend you give one a try.

I found that with my batch of Porter that used 1.5 lbs of Crisp Brown Malt (which is around 65L), the character was a bit overpowering. I have scaled it back to 1 lb and I like that a lot. Brown Malt from different maltsters varies quite a bit in color. I have never used a coffee malt myself, but 2.25 combined Brown Malt + Coffee Malt seems like a bit much.

OP
P

porterguy

Reaction score
Thanks, Cascadesbrewer. I'll drop the coffee and also maybe cut back on the brown malt.

I'm open to additional comments. Anyone?

Thans!

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
5 gallon batch- I will be adding Maris otter as base malt. My question is how much to end up around a 5% ABV beer. Plan on mashing at 150.
Oh, I completely missed that in your original post. Apologies.

Jump on Brewer's Friend; it makes recipe creation/analysis a snap. Inputting your recipe, I get that 5.75 lb MO will get you to 5% ABV, assuming 70% BH efficiency.

OP
P

porterguy

Reaction score
Great, thanks. I was going to do a ballpark estimate of 6 lbs. Didn't really expect to be that close.

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I was going to do a ballpark estimate of 6 lbs. Didn't really expect to be that close.
I can't recommend enough checking out Brewer's Friend. You can build up to five recipes with the free trial membership; that's plenty to learn how to use the system and decide if you like it. It's all web-based, so there's nothing to install on your computer.

I'm not affiliated with Brewer's Friend in any way, except as a very satisfied user.

OP
P

porterguy

Reaction score
Already took a look at it after your previous post. Thanks, it looks like it covers a lot of various topics and issues.

grampamark

Icons clast. Inquire within.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a batch of this on tap now. I use 10 lbs of 2-row, which gives an ABV of 6.5%. I reduced that to 7 lbs for this example which predicted 5%.

If you’re not familiar with Beersmith, the blue bars in the graphs which predict gravity, bitterness, and color represent the ranges of those parameters in the BJCP style guidelines.
7483B76E-AB07-42B1-9280-62F6012157E2.png